Bud Selig to get an award for being green

Sep 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT

Green Baseball

Not green with envy over the NFL’s TV ratings. And it’s not a reference to all of the green he has helped his owners rake in over the years. Nope, this is about the environment, y’all:

The Green Sports Alliance, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help sports teams, venues, and leagues enhance their environmental performance, will present its first Environmental Leadership Award to Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig this evening at the Green Sports Alliance Summit Evening at the Ballpark Event at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington.

The Green Sports Alliance Environmental Leadership Award is presented to a member of the sports industry who has demonstrated leadership and has provided significant contributions to environmental sustainability.

You know, contributions like those one-time-use green hats teams wore to celebrate Earth Day a couple of years ago. Or the time one of his teams cut down a bunch of trees because they spoiled the view.

Ah, I kid!

Baseball has done a lot in this regard, mostly in connection with the construction of new stadiums that are pretty darn energy efficient for projects as large as they are. Baseball has also developed many programs which aid in sustainable ballpark management. Things like recycled Dodger Dogs and nachos in biodegradable helmets.

Sorry, I kid again. I can’t help myself. Whenever someone gives me a press release, I feel the need to riff. Probably need to talk to my therapist about it.

Congrats, Bud.

1. hittfamily - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:03 PM

Frogs are green. Snakes are just snakes.

2. sdelmonte - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

Remind me to never add you to the press list I use at work.

3. historiophiliac - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:11 PM

WTH? I’m pretty sure this is not because he recycles all those letters he gets about replay. If we are relying on Selig-style “leadership” to protect the environment, I think the human race is on its way to compost.

• paperlions - Sep 6, 2012 at 3:01 PM

Actually, our “leadership” is far worse environmentally than baseball is…..the people that pay for politicians to get elected don’t like to make less money by adapting their approach to making money to do so in more energy efficient fashions….so they pay handsomely to ensure that they don’t have to. For pete’s sake CHINA, has far more stringent car emission and milage standards than the US does. In this respect, we are nothing like a world leader, rather we are the guy dragging his feet far behind bitching and grumbling all the way.

FWIW, just like he receives far too much blame for things people don’t like that “baseball” does, he will also receive far to much credit for things “baseball” does that people do like.

4. temporarilyexiled - Sep 6, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Will he receive an award for being gray?

5. rr2000k - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:16 PM

If by green, you mean you don’t know what you’re doing, then I agree.

6. willclarkgameface - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:31 PM

It’s not easy being green, but for Bud it’s easy to be an idiot.

7. sj39 - Sep 7, 2012 at 8:15 AM

Where I come from, green means immature, not ready and generally ineffective.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3514)