Sep 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Not green with envy over the NFL’s TV ratings. And it’s not a reference to all of the green he has helped his owners rake in over the years. Nope, this is about the environment, y’all:
The Green Sports Alliance, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help sports teams, venues, and leagues enhance their environmental performance, will present its first Environmental Leadership Award to Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig this evening at the Green Sports Alliance Summit Evening at the Ballpark Event at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington.
The Green Sports Alliance Environmental Leadership Award is presented to a member of the sports industry who has demonstrated leadership and has provided significant contributions to environmental sustainability.
You know, contributions like those one-time-use green hats teams wore to celebrate Earth Day a couple of years ago. Or the time one of his teams cut down a bunch of trees because they spoiled the view.
Ah, I kid!
Baseball has done a lot in this regard, mostly in connection with the construction of new stadiums that are pretty darn energy efficient for projects as large as they are. Baseball has also developed many programs which aid in sustainable ballpark management. Things like recycled Dodger Dogs and nachos in biodegradable helmets.
Sorry, I kid again. I can’t help myself. Whenever someone gives me a press release, I feel the need to riff. Probably need to talk to my therapist about it.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 3
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 39
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 78
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)