Sep 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Not green with envy over the NFL’s TV ratings. And it’s not a reference to all of the green he has helped his owners rake in over the years. Nope, this is about the environment, y’all:
The Green Sports Alliance, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help sports teams, venues, and leagues enhance their environmental performance, will present its first Environmental Leadership Award to Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig this evening at the Green Sports Alliance Summit Evening at the Ballpark Event at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington.
The Green Sports Alliance Environmental Leadership Award is presented to a member of the sports industry who has demonstrated leadership and has provided significant contributions to environmental sustainability.
You know, contributions like those one-time-use green hats teams wore to celebrate Earth Day a couple of years ago. Or the time one of his teams cut down a bunch of trees because they spoiled the view.
Ah, I kid!
Baseball has done a lot in this regard, mostly in connection with the construction of new stadiums that are pretty darn energy efficient for projects as large as they are. Baseball has also developed many programs which aid in sustainable ballpark management. Things like recycled Dodger Dogs and nachos in biodegradable helmets.
Sorry, I kid again. I can’t help myself. Whenever someone gives me a press release, I feel the need to riff. Probably need to talk to my therapist about it.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 27
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 41
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 10
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 8
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 30
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 33
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)