Sep 6, 2012, 2:00 PM EDT
Not green with envy over the NFL’s TV ratings. And it’s not a reference to all of the green he has helped his owners rake in over the years. Nope, this is about the environment, y’all:
The Green Sports Alliance, a nonprofit organization with a mission to help sports teams, venues, and leagues enhance their environmental performance, will present its first Environmental Leadership Award to Baseball Commissioner Allan H. (Bud) Selig this evening at the Green Sports Alliance Summit Evening at the Ballpark Event at Safeco Field in Seattle, Washington.
The Green Sports Alliance Environmental Leadership Award is presented to a member of the sports industry who has demonstrated leadership and has provided significant contributions to environmental sustainability.
You know, contributions like those one-time-use green hats teams wore to celebrate Earth Day a couple of years ago. Or the time one of his teams cut down a bunch of trees because they spoiled the view.
Ah, I kid!
Baseball has done a lot in this regard, mostly in connection with the construction of new stadiums that are pretty darn energy efficient for projects as large as they are. Baseball has also developed many programs which aid in sustainable ballpark management. Things like recycled Dodger Dogs and nachos in biodegradable helmets.
Sorry, I kid again. I can’t help myself. Whenever someone gives me a press release, I feel the need to riff. Probably need to talk to my therapist about it.
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 0
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 27
- Baseball is dying, you guys (148)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)