Sep 6, 2012, 10:37 AM EDT
You’ve heard of “suicide by cop?” Yesterday Indians closer Chris Perez tried to commit suicide by media.
Perez took shots at the Indians front office, chalking up the difference in the success of small market teams like Oakland to that of Cleveland to ”different owners … [The Tigers] are spending money. [Mike Ilitch] wants to win. Even when the economy was down, he spent money. He’s got a team to show for it. You get what you pay for in baseball. Sometimes you don’t. But most of the time you do.”
He also criticized the Indians for not signing Josh Willingham:
“Josh Willingham would look great in this lineup. They didn’t want to [pay] for that last year. … That’s the decision they make, and this is the bed we’re laying in.”
True, but closers aren’t paid to speak such truths to the media in the middle of a disastrous season for the team. Seems to me that Perez is angling for a way out of town. And he may just get it.
- Patrick Corbin diagnosed with “damage” to left UCL 38
- The Yankees were no-hit by the Marlins in Panama 35
- Report: Jose Iglesias could miss most of the 2014 season 46
- Manny Machado dealing with scar tissue in knee, increasingly unlikely for Opening Day 10
- The D-Backs weren’t kidding about the retaliation thing 58
- Red Sox prospect gets arrested, acts like a monumental jackwagon (107)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (104)
- Keith Olbermann REALLY hates that Barry Bonds is coaching the Giants for a week (102)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (90)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (90)