Independent leaguer plays all nine positions in a game

Sep 6, 2012, 3:03 PM EDT

Bugs Bunny

It’s kind of a boring day, news-wise. Bobby Valentine hasn’t done anything yet. That massive fight with all of the Stevie Nicks fans I got myself into on Twitter is starting to peter out (long story).  So, yeah, I’m scanning for something to write about.

Thank goodness for the independent leagues:

Kenny[Held]  thought it would be fun on the last day of the season to play all nine positions on the field, since it was the last game of the season.

He changed positions every inning saving the ninth inning to pitch, where he pitched two strike-outs and the ball was clocked at 93 mph in the three up, three down inning to finish the game with an 8-2 AirHog win.

The writer has an interview up with Held at his site. The independent leagues are great because everyone can just have fun, ya know?

Now if you’ll excuse me, there are 100 angry women dressed in black and doing weird little twirly dance moves at my front door. Wonder what they want …

1. number42is1 - Sep 6, 2012 at 3:42 PM

come on… out with it.. whats the stevie nicks story

• Joe - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:03 PM

He made a joke about Stevie Nicks dying and an 18-year old girl who REALLY LOVES Stevie Nicks wigged out when she found out about it. @craigcalcaterra

• chadjones27 - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Now, because of South Park, all I think about when I hear Stevie Nicks is Steamie Nicks. Damn you Randy Marsh!

• Joe - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:39 PM

I think of her as a goat.

• chadjones27 - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Joe, also from South Park. Forgot about that one.

2. hittfamily - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:08 PM

He pulled a Buster Posey!

3. woodenulykteneau - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:54 PM

Well, it’s not like anything like that happened in the affiliated leagues recently. oh wait.

4. sumerduckman - Sep 6, 2012 at 5:44 PM

Good thing he wasn’t facing the Gas-House Gorillas.

• yahmule - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:43 PM

I’ll bet he would have pasted those pathetic palookas with a powerful, paralyzing, poifect, pachydermus, percussion pitch.

5. frank433 - Sep 6, 2012 at 6:19 PM

Jeff Larish tried to do this week too, rain shortened the game before he could get all of them in.

6. thewrongalex - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Still waiting for someone to top this independent league game I went to in 2006, when TWO players played all nine positions. (posted in comments @ Deadspin) http://deadspin.com/5938183/minor-leaguer-plays-all-nine-positions-in-nine+inning-game?post=52213771

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet