Sep 6, 2012, 10:57 PM EDT
There’s once again a tie atop the AL East standings.
The Bombers scored five times in the top of the eighth without the benefit of a homer to even the game up at 6, but the Orioles roared right back with three homers in the bottom of the frame. Two of them came off David Robertson, who failed to get an out and took the loss to drop to 1-6 on the year.
It was the Orioles’ first six-homer game since Aug. 28, 2007 against the Rays.
Reynolds’ two-homer game was his third in a week against the Yankees, as he also went deep twice in wins at Yankee Stadium on Friday and Sunday. He joins Hall of Famer Hank Greenberg as just the second player ever to have three two-homer games against the Yankees in the same season. Greenberg did it for the Tigers in 1938.
Also going yard for the Orioles were Matt Wieters, Robert Andino, Adam Jones and Chris Davis. Jones had the tiebreaker in the bottom of the eighth, making it a 7-6 game. Reynolds and Davis later went back-to-back in the frame.
Reynolds also homered twice against the Blue Jays this week, so he has eight home runs in his last seven games. He had just 12 in 103 games through Aug. 30.
The Yankees and Orioles are set for three more games at Camden Yards, so barring a rainout, the tie atop the standings won’t survive the weekend. Phil Hughes and Wei-Yin Chen will battle in Friday’s game.
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 2
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 4
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 83
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 51
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 48
- Video: Rusney Castillo notches his first major league hit 7
- Michael Wacha cleared to return Saturday vs. Reds 2
- Marlins officially shut down Giancarlo Stanton for the season 6
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (90)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)