Sep 6, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
The Yankees have struggled to put runs on the board recently and have the Orioles hot on their tail going into a four-game series tonight in Baltimore, but the Bombers’ offense could be back to full strength soon.
According to Chad Jennings of the Journal News, Mark Teixeira tested his strained left calf by running in the outfield this afternoon at Camden Yards. He admitted that his calf is still a “little tight,” but plans to ramp up the intensity and hasn’t ruled out the possibility of returning to action tomorrow night. Yankees manager Joe Girardi seems to think later this weekend is more realistic.
“I’m not anticipating it (tomorrow), but we’ll see how he feels tomorrow and watch him go through what he needs to go through and make a decision,” Joe Girardi said. “You have to make sure that when he gets out there he’s ready to play and it’s not like a 50-50 chance that it’s going to happen the first night back. You can’t take that chance. We’ve got to feel pretty good that he’s going to be able to remain healthy.”
When Teixeira suffered the injury last Monday, it was originally estimated that he would miss one to two weeks, so he’s still roughly on schedule. He would likely take an extra day or two if the Yankees still had a nice cushion, but there’s obviously an increased sense of urgency right now.
Teixeira, 32, is hitting .255/.335/.478 with 23 home runs, 81 RBI and an .813 OPS in 119 games played this season.
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 8
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 4
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 49
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)