Sep 6, 2012, 1:30 PM EST
Or, as McLain refers to him, “Stephen Strousburg,” but let’s just chalk that up to prison educational programs not being as strong as they should be:
Folks, you never see it coming, it takes one pitch, one bad wind-up, one bad anything, but who the hell can predict that someone is going to get hurt? If I am a fan in Washington, I want my money back if they sit this phenom down for the rest of the year, by the way, if they are afraid of him getting hurt, why pitch him at all? Maybe next year, 5 innings huh?
I’m sort of in an uncomfortable position here in that, very broadly speaking, I agree that Strasburg should pitch more, and I never ever like agreeing with a dude like Denny McLain.
But I’m also of the view that Denny McLain is perhaps the biggest idiot to ever wear a baseball uniform and I find the idea that he makes zero connection between the Tigers pitching him into the damn dirt when he was 20-25 years-old and him breaking down and being washed up at age 26 to be almost too delicious to be true.
Anyway, we have to be near the end of the list people who have an opinion on Strasburg. At least until it comes up in the presidential debates.
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 10
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 65
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 59
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 46
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 8
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)