R.A. Dickey is going to write children’s books

Sep 6, 2012, 12:16 PM EST

New York Mets starting pitcher Dickey throws a knuckleball as he pitches to the Miami Marlins during the ninth inning of their MLB National League game in New York

R.A. Dickey‘s autobiography was very personal and very well received, and now the Mets ace has signed a deal to write three children’s books.

Here are a few more details, from Publishers Weekly:

The first book in this deal, scheduled for fall 2013, will be a young readers’ adaptation of the memoir. The second two titles in the deal will be picture books, the first of which, Knuckleball Ned, is set for spring 2014. The third book is not yet scheduled.

Something tells me if Dickey wins the Cy Young award this season he might have another grown-up book in his near future too.

1. darthicarus - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Sadly I feel these books will be slow to develop a plot and then the plot will flummox most readers.

• Ben - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:12 PM

So David Foster Wallace, but for kids?

2. number42is1 - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:37 PM

I don’t vote but i’m like 110% sure that if he ran for pres i would vote.

3. Brian Donohue - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM

“Where the Wild Pitches Are”

4. papacrick - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:01 PM

I thought this was a joke when I saw the headline. Josh Hamilton is writing children’s books as well with thorough details on how manhandled some skank in a public restroom

5. stex52 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:16 PM

Something about climbing a mountain in Africa. That would have gotten me when I was a kid. Right up his alley.

6. Old Gator - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:28 PM

So he’s writing a version of his book for children? Included being molested by his babysitter? Wow, if he can tell that story using only one and two syllable words, more power to him. When I was that age, I had to sneak into my parents’ room and steal the Playboy out of Dad’s night table.

• stex52 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:54 PM

Tales of adversity can be couched in many frames of reference that can parallel the ugly facts without airing them out. I’m sure he and some editor can make it all sound inspiring.

• Old Gator - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Of the two episodes of sexual abuse Dickey experienced, I’m sure that the one at the hands of a male relative would have been deeply traumatic to me, as it was to him.

The one with the babysitter, though, probably would have been pretty inspiring without a lot of euphemisms worked into the telling….

7. spudatx - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:36 PM

His first book was a really good read. Much, much different from most any other baseball player’s bio. He’s got quite a back story.

• Old Gator - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Yes he does. The swim in the river story was worth the entire price of the book by itself. Kinda puts the Kilimanjaro escapade in perspective, too.

8. voteforno6 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:53 PM

Awesome. He’s already one of the most interesting professional athletes. I hope he does well…except when he’s pitching against the Nats.

9. teaspoon1731 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

This man is almost too awesome to exist.

10. flyman2 - Sep 6, 2012 at 4:41 PM

“She touched my Dickey” is a story of perseverance as one boy goes from being sexually abused to getting abused on the pitching mound to the point that his career looked over, only to wind up winning the 2012 NL Cy Young. It should inspire people of all ages to overcome any adversity they face.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester