Shelby Miller debuts for the Cardinals

Sep 6, 2012, 9:42 AM EDT

New York Mets v St. Louis Cardinals Getty Images

The Cardinals lost, but Cardinals fans got to see some of the future in yesterday’s game against the Mets. That future is Shelby Miller, the team’s top pitching prospect who made his major league debut in relief.

Miller tossed two scoreless innings, allowing one hit and striking out four. Not bad. Not bad at all.

Miller will be a bullpen arm for Mike Matheny down the stretch, but with his early season struggles in the past and his obvious talent on display yesterday, it won’t be long before he’s a rotation fixture for the Cards.

1. stlouis1baseball - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Wonderful debut for sure. Let’s hope he continues to show progress.

• okwhitefalcon - Sep 6, 2012 at 12:43 PM

He looked sharp.

Didn’t walk anyone and didn’t get rattled after he gave up a hit in his second inning.

A really impressive debut.

• stex52 - Sep 6, 2012 at 5:24 PM

To paraphrase an old expression from the ’70’s counterculture (I’m sure most of you will recognize).

Pitching will get you through times of no hitting better than hitting will get you through times of no pitching.

2. stex52 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Finally something to make my Roy Oswalt arguments from the spring look lame. Been a tough summer for their pitching. I bet they are glad to see this. Hang in there for a spot, Cards.

• saints97 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:37 PM

You don’t think that Roy Oswalt makes your Roy Oswalt arguments from the spring look lame?

• stex52 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:49 PM

Touche.

• stex52 - Sep 6, 2012 at 1:51 PM

By the way, I didn’t mispell. That is “touche” as in “you got me.” Not “douche.” On this website I thought I had better make that clear.

• saints97 - Sep 6, 2012 at 2:07 PM

Haha, I got it.

I have been pleased with the starting pitching this year. It has hit its rough patches, but they seem to pull through. The bullpen has had its horrifying moments, but most teams have that issue. But the future does look bright on the pitching front. Miller gets (and deserves) the fanfare, but Rosenthal has an electric arm in his own right, and hopefully Matheny will start trusting him soon.

Even though Jenkins has disappointed, I am bullish on the Cardinals arms in the system. The kid from A&M, Wacha, looked excellent in his limited pro innings this year. He could move quickly through the system next year.

• paperlions - Sep 6, 2012 at 3:32 PM

I don’t think Jenkins has disappointed. He was very raw and very young (whereas Miller was young and relatively polished)…I guess the biggest disappointment has been his inability to stay on the field. It was expected that Jenkins would take longer to develop, but he is coming along just fine. In addition, to Miller, Martinez, Rosenthal, Jenkins, and Wacha…they have some other interesting arms in Maness and Swaggerty (who has missed all year). There is a lot of depth in the arms….not nearly as much in the bats.

• saints97 - Sep 6, 2012 at 7:58 PM

Paper, we must be reading different scouting reports. I have seen nothing to indicate that Jenkins has progressed at all this year. In fact, one scout thought he’d regressed.

3. okwhitefalcon - Sep 6, 2012 at 8:29 PM

I’ve seen conflicting reports on Jenkins, I think some of the scouts (anyone with a subsciption to MiLBTV these days) expected a fast(er) progression. Not sure why, he’s just a kid with alot of raw ability that’s gonna take time to refine.

Maness is interesting, some of the HPGF (hyperventilating prospect geek fraternity) think he’s the second coming of Greg Maddux while others see him as the second coming of Brad Thompson.

Swaggerty’s coming off Tommy John next year, maybe a couple years away if things go well for him.

Three legends off to Cooperstown