The Dodgers are talking to GM Ned Colletti about a contract extension

Sep 6, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT

Ned Colletti AP AP

After playing a central part in the Dodgers’ spending spree over the past couple of months, general manager Ned Colletti is about to be rewarded by the team’s new ownership group.

According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers have opened talks with Colletti on a long-term contract extension. Team chairman Mark Walter confirmed that a new deal is on the table, but said he did not know any details of the discussion. Colletti’s contract is guaranteed through this year and includes mutual options.

Colletti was hired as Dodgers’ general manager after the 2005 season. The team made the playoffs in three of his first four years on the job, but haven’t played postseason ball since 2009. Despite the high-profile additions of Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino, Joe Blanton, Brandon League, Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett over the past two months, the Dodgers currently sit 4 1/2 games behind the Giants in the National League West and 1 1/2 games back in the Wild Card race.

It’s a little surprising to see this happen before the season ends, as it would be perfectly understandable if the new ownership group wanted to install one of their own guys if they miss out on the playoffs, but they are apparently satisfied with the status quo. And hey, the way the Dodgers are throwing coin around right now, Colletti could make more mistakes like Juan Uribe and Andruw Jones and it may not matter that much.

1. redguy12588 - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

WAY TO SPEND $500M IN 16 MONTHS! DEFINITELY A TOP TIER GM.

• keithbangedyermom - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:29 PM

Omar Minaya agrees.

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 7, 2012 at 8:30 AM

Trading for players isn’t along the same lines as giving them their contracts, but that clarification doesn’t matter. Keep posting in all caps to let us know that you’re real pissed about something that never happened, and we’ll just slap ourselves silly.

• redguy12588 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Hey Ned, why are you posting on hardballtalk? Shouldn’t you be trying to trade for Albert Pujols contract?

• koufaxmitzvah - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Yeah. Ned Colleti cares about what you have to say.

I’m surprised I care enough to tell you what both of us already know.

Now, thump your chest, and insist you’re the Champ.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:21 PM

koufaxmitzvah, I’m surprised these comments get to you this much.

In my opinion, a good GM does care bout the team’s image, even if they have no control over it.

But, yes, as to all of our rosterbations, they’d be really bad if they listened at all.

I do hope teams do have people reading the blogs. If they read enough of them, they can learn a lot about what their organization’s fanbase is thinking – and that’s good business.

Personally, I’m glad the Dodgers are again relevant. The Giants payroll is only going to increase. Thus, we’re going to have a battle of heavyweights for years to come.

This year, I think the Dodgers have too much to overcome. And frankly, whoever pitches in the postseason wins, so even though the images of both teams are based on pitching, the reality is that anyone from this division may not have enough stellar pitching this year to matter.

2. pandaaa69 - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:26 PM

wow They need to get rid of him signing so called veterans ex: Juan Uribe, Andruw Jones, Jason Schidmt, Adam Kennedy, and trading Carlos Santana for Casey Blake Santana is balling in Cleveland they should fire him

• redguy12588 - Sep 6, 2012 at 10:44 PM

He also traded James McDonald to the Pirates for Octavio Dotel. I hope he stays the GM there forever.

• Marty - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:11 AM

Jason Schmidt. LOL.

Signed,
      Giants fan.

• skerney - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM

Jason Schmidt
        Juan Pierre
        Andrew Jones
        Juan Uribe
        Octavio Dotel
        Manny Ramirez

and many more to come.

• escapingexile - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

@skerney: Manny? Did you forget 08 and 09? After 08, there would have been a public execution if a contract offer was not extended. Let us not forget the buzz of excitement that had been missing for years which was created with the arrival of Manny. Sure, hindsight is 20/20. But let’s not pretend anyone at that time would not have handed out the second contract. Get real.

3. mgflolox - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:32 PM

As a Giants fan, I couldn’t be happier.

4. zice03 - Sep 6, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Ridiculous, why do this now. He is a terrible GM. I’m sure he would of gave up all our top prospects if Stan wasn’t in office.

• escapingexile - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:38 AM

Let me explain how this works: When your owner refuses to take on salary, the amount/quality of the prospects increases exponentially if you want to make a trade. When you are capable of assuming the full dollar amount of a contract, the amount/quality of prospects required to complete a trade drastically decreases.

5. kiwicricket - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:14 AM

Ned should treat himself to a new wig. The old raccoon pelt is looking a bit tired up there.

6. 4d3fect - Sep 7, 2012 at 8:23 AM

Drunken sailor, meet huge paycheck.

You might be interested in a few “talents” I have lined up for you….

7. chill1184 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:03 AM

Omar Minaya of the NL West, enjoy that one Dodgers fans.

8. escapingexile - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:29 AM

I know that I am in the minority here amongst my fellow Dodger fans, so I will fully expect a shower of thumbs down, so be it. My take on it is that up until this point, we are basing our opinion of Colletti over the course of his tenure on the fact that he was tasked with decorating a house while on a .99 cent store budget. It’s real easy for the fans to sit back and point out the likes of the Andrew Jones’, whose signing was applauded by most at the time as everyone fully expected him to have a bounce back year much the same as he has done during his time in New York. They rag on Juan Pierre, for the life of me I don’t get it as all the man did was anything any sane person would have expected of him: Good batting average, poor obp. If I recall, he filled in valiantly with those same attributes during the Manny debacle, and nobody was bashing on him then. The cries of let JP play were echoing loud and clear. Sure, you have bad luck along the way like Jason Schmidt. It’s going to happen to everyone from time to time, no matter how good of a gm you are. But when the club only has enough money to dish out for one star and the injuries happen, it becomes magnified X10 because that one star is your entire team. Despite that, we managed a couple of exciting runs in 08 and 09. Give the man a chance. Let’s see what he can do when provided the resources to make some moves.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 7, 2012 at 10:07 AM

So he’s gone from discount store manager to vulture capitalist. When does Sabean Junior become a general manager? You have to admit, it does make sense to give him time to show what he’s all about, but it’s already been a while, and by your reckoning, we’re still waiting to see who he is.

I’ll put it another way. Is he Brian Cashman? Yankee fans give Cashman a hard time, but to me, he’s done a pretty good job keeping his head with the Dodgers East. In my book, this is what Ned Colletti now has to do in order to be a true Dodger…of our barbs.

And yes, I’m a Giants fan, so you can discount me if you like. I do remember when Colletti worked under Sabean, and to be honest, you really had to listen carefully on the radio to tell them apart. But with all of the crap that Sabean has taken, I’m good with which franchise has which general manager.

• escapingexile - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:43 PM

I don’t discount anyone with a logical, rational thought process regardless of the fan base from which they come. Honestly, from where I sit, given the fact that he has had no cash to work with, all in all he has done a decent job. He has managed to avoid building a horrendous team despite the restrictions he was under. In my book, that has earned him the right to at least audition what he can do with some money in his pocket. I would argue, thus far, he has done pretty well. Maybe it’s not working as well as it should, but the onus is on the players to play to their ability. I would gladly take as a whole what we received for what we gave up any day of the week.
        For me, in all of professional sports there are only a select few GM’s who are game changers. Guys that consistently come out looking like geniuses after they wheel and deal. Luckily, in LA, we were/are blessed to have two of them in Jerry West and Mitch Kupchak. Aside from those select few, to be successful is more about avoiding horrible deals than it is about creating blockbusters.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 7, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Cousin, (I just noticed your screen name – LOL – hope it’s just a coincidence)

I’ll summarize what you just said:

He avoided building a horrible team.

It’s the players’ fault.

You’re happy with how it’s gone so far.

There are only a few GMs worth their salaries…who…in baseball…do you believe in on this list?

I love LA.

Being a good GM is all about not being a bad one.

• escapingexile - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

Lol… Perfect summary, and a good question. Honestly, if I had to pick one, I might go with someone like Andrew Friedman of the Rays. Cashman also does well for himself. I would also point out the obvious difference between the two is that one fields a competitive team at a fraction of the cost of the other. However, as Boston has shown us, just because you spend doesn’t make you a winner. Cashman has an extensive amount of resources to which, by enlarge, he puts to use very efficiently. Colletti, at least in my opinion, has been fairly efficient when given the resources the last few months. Only time will tell if the money was spent wisely or recklessly.

9. styx630 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:40 AM

Jeez, who does Colletti have pictures of?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4992)