Sep 6, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
After playing a central part in the Dodgers’ spending spree over the past couple of months, general manager Ned Colletti is about to be rewarded by the team’s new ownership group.
According to Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times, the Dodgers have opened talks with Colletti on a long-term contract extension. Team chairman Mark Walter confirmed that a new deal is on the table, but said he did not know any details of the discussion. Colletti’s contract is guaranteed through this year and includes mutual options.
Colletti was hired as Dodgers’ general manager after the 2005 season. The team made the playoffs in three of his first four years on the job, but haven’t played postseason ball since 2009. Despite the high-profile additions of Hanley Ramirez, Shane Victorino, Joe Blanton, Brandon League, Adrian Gonzalez and Josh Beckett over the past two months, the Dodgers currently sit 4 1/2 games behind the Giants in the National League West and 1 1/2 games back in the Wild Card race.
It’s a little surprising to see this happen before the season ends, as it would be perfectly understandable if the new ownership group wanted to install one of their own guys if they miss out on the playoffs, but they are apparently satisfied with the status quo. And hey, the way the Dodgers are throwing coin around right now, Colletti could make more mistakes like Juan Uribe and Andruw Jones and it may not matter that much.
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Blackhawks win OT thriller
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- PBT: Celts, Clips restart Doc, KG trade talks
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming