Sep 7, 2012, 3:45 PM EST
Brandon McCarthy remains in the hospital after being hit in the head by a line drive Wednesday and the A’s have recalled right-hander Dan Straily from Triple-A to presumably take his spot in the rotation.
Straily made his big-league debut back on August 3 and pitched well in three starts, throwing 17 innings with a 3.18 ERA and 12/4 K/BB ratio, but Brett Anderson‘s return from Tommy John surgery and Oakland’s strong rotation depth pushed him back to the minors.
Now he returns after posting a 2.78 ERA and ridiculously great 190/48 K/BB ratio in 152 innings between Double-A and Triple-A. Straily was far from a top prospect coming into this season, but had one of the bigger breakouts of anyone in the minors this year.
- Zack Greinke hasn’t made decision about opt-out 0
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 18
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 55
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 42
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 103
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (85)