Sep 7, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Brandon McCarthy remains in the hospital after being hit in the head by a line drive Wednesday and the A’s have recalled right-hander Dan Straily from Triple-A to presumably take his spot in the rotation.
Straily made his big-league debut back on August 3 and pitched well in three starts, throwing 17 innings with a 3.18 ERA and 12/4 K/BB ratio, but Brett Anderson‘s return from Tommy John surgery and Oakland’s strong rotation depth pushed him back to the minors.
Now he returns after posting a 2.78 ERA and ridiculously great 190/48 K/BB ratio in 152 innings between Double-A and Triple-A. Straily was far from a top prospect coming into this season, but had one of the bigger breakouts of anyone in the minors this year.
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 2
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 51
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 16
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 26
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 30
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 18
- Ten years ago today the Alex Rodriguez-Jason Varitek brawl changed the narrative of the Sox-Yankees rivalry 84
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 30
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)