Sep 7, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT
Brandon McCarthy remains in the hospital after being hit in the head by a line drive Wednesday and the A’s have recalled right-hander Dan Straily from Triple-A to presumably take his spot in the rotation.
Straily made his big-league debut back on August 3 and pitched well in three starts, throwing 17 innings with a 3.18 ERA and 12/4 K/BB ratio, but Brett Anderson‘s return from Tommy John surgery and Oakland’s strong rotation depth pushed him back to the minors.
Now he returns after posting a 2.78 ERA and ridiculously great 190/48 K/BB ratio in 152 innings between Double-A and Triple-A. Straily was far from a top prospect coming into this season, but had one of the bigger breakouts of anyone in the minors this year.
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 39
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 21
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 50
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 15
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 50
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)