Brandon McCarthy is still in a “life-threatening” situation

Sep 7, 2012, 11:41 PM EDT

Brandon McCarthy AP AP

Brandon McCarthy is showing signs of improvement two days after undergoing surgery to relieve pressure on his brain from being struck by a line drive during a start against the Angels on Wednesday, but Athletics trainer Nick Paparesta said tonight that he’s still in a “life-threatening” situation.

“Absolutely he is. It’s brain surgery,” Paparesta said. “It’s life-threatening. At any possible moment something could go wrong, he could have a complication. Absolutely.”

McCarthy got out of bed three times today, sat up in his bed and in a chair, ate solid foods and recognized visitors. While he is able to talk, he is in too much pain to do so. Things are looking up, but Paparesta was told by doctors and the medical team that the second and third days after surgery are the most critical.

“We’re coming up on day three (Saturday), so by the evening time there’s still the possibility of reoccurring or increase of swelling back again,” Paparesta said. “If that happens, they can do different measures or techniques to keep that down. He’s not out of the woods but he showing great progress.”

Erick Aybar hit the ball which struck McCarthy on Wednesday afternoon. He was naturally quite shaken by his involvement in the unfortunate incident and issued a statement before tonight’s game.

“It has been a tough last two days for me as I keep replaying in my head when the ball struck Brandon. I am encouraged and thankful to know he has made significant progress, and I keep praying to God to help him recover quickly and fully. I also pray for him and his wife. Our game is a tight brotherhood, and right now we all wear the same uniform colors.”

Angels broadcaster Jose Mota reports that Aybar left a voicemail for McCarthy after Wednesday’s game and hopes to talk to him soon.

1. raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM

Prayers for him to recover fully, and to have a long, happy life with his family.

2. Brian Murphy - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

Brandon McCarthy is one of the funnier players in the game and underrated as a pitcher. I can’t wait to hear the ovation he gets the next time he steps on a MLB diamond. I have faith that he will.

3. keithbangedyermom - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:52 PM

Jesus.

• spudatx - Sep 8, 2012 at 1:12 AM

You said it, man. Nobody f#$@s with the Jesus.

• butchhuskey - Sep 8, 2012 at 1:18 AM

Except Mary Magdalene

4. chill1184 - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:05 AM

Speedy recovery McCarthy

5. butchhuskey - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Best of luck to Brandon in his recovery (and my thoughts go out to his wife, family, and friends)- he’s one of the good guys in the game and I can’t even imagine going through such a scary situation. Hopefully he will get back to full health and be able to go on with his life.

• bigleagues - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:36 AM

All of the things you just said, plus it would reallllly suck if Mrs. McCarthy stopped tweeting and got all serious and introspective and stuff.

6. fuddpucker - Sep 8, 2012 at 1:20 AM

I know Brandon will pull through, he’s all heart this kid.

7. btwicey - Sep 8, 2012 at 1:31 AM

Aybar is classy , that’s so good to hear in pro sports.

• jhorton83 - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:32 AM

Unlike his brother, who is really one of the biggest douchebags to ever play the game. Apparently that’s not genetic as Erick seems like a good guy.

8. indaburg - Sep 8, 2012 at 8:05 AM

Poor kid. I really hope Brandon pulls through this without any residual effects. That he can talk, walk, and is able to recognize people is an excellent sign, but they’re 100% correct. Day 3 is critical.

Classy move by Erick Aybar and thanks for reporting it. I was wondering how he was doing too. This has to be emotionally traumatic for him.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3718)