Bud Selig: the coolest cat alive

Sep 7, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Hank Aaron Home & Museum Opening Getty Images

Via Hugging Harold Reynolds, a great story from Seattle, where Bud Selig was in town to receive that environmental award we talked about yesterday.  There was a dinner/reception on the field, and a fan went up to meet the commish:

I walked up to Mr. Selig and said “Nice to meet you. As a lifelong baseball fan I really just wanted to say that I had met the Commissioner of Baseball” and reached out to shake his hand.

He shook my hand and replied, “Now you have” and walked away.

Bud is so money he doesn’t even know he’s money.

1. danaking - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Is Bud the reincarnation of Calvin Coolidge? When told by someone at a party the other person had just bet a friend ten dollars he could get Coolidge to say more than two words, Coolidge said, “You lose,” and walked away.

That’s probably an apocryphal story, but I tend to think of Bud as an apocryphal commissioner.

• kopy - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:37 AM

There’s a true story about a president, (think it was JFK, not positive), who received a letter basically complaining that the prez’s autograph wasn’t worth very much. He responded:

“In order to depress the supply of my autograph and drive up the market value, I will not sign this letter.”

2. redguy12588 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Selig is a tool, the only people that shouldn’t have a problem with him are from large market teams.

3. elmaquino - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:25 AM

“Bud is so money he doesn’t even know he’s money.”

That’s the whitest thing I’ll read today.

• spudatx - Sep 7, 2012 at 10:36 AM

Bud Selig IS the other side of the pillow.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:30 AM

I always thought of Bud as someone who would get a girl’s number and leave her a bunch of messages until she finally picks up and says “Don’t ever call me again”. Not someone who’s so money that he doesn’t even know he is money. Then again, much like Jon Favreau, maybe he is both.

• historiophiliac - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:03 PM

No, Selig is the creepy dude that girls give fake numbers to, and his endless messages annoy the hell out of the time & temp line.

5. Charles Gates - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Great. Now Selig will get wind of this article and cite is as another reason why MLB doesn’t need more instant replay.

6. chaseutley - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:45 AM

There’s a way to make that a funny line and connect with someone over it. Who here thinks Bud Selig has the charm to pull something like that off?

7. temporarilyexiled - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:46 AM

He’s alive?

8. stoutfiles - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:48 AM

“As a lifelong baseball fan I really just wanted to say that I had met the Commissioner of Baseball, but I must say, with all due respect, I find it very hard to see the logic behind some of the moves you have made with this fine sport. Since 1992, you have caused myself, and all the other fans, a good deal of distress as we have watched you take our beloved sport and reduce it to a laughing stock, all for the glorification of your massive ego.”

• chill1184 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:53 AM

A-fucking-men! The sooner the Selig error is done, the better.

• joshfrancis50 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:54 AM

Hire this man!

9. kopy - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:56 AM

This picture, with those shades, is a little too Uncle Bernie for my taste.

10. willclarkgameface - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:59 AM

This guy is fucking SLIME.

Bud SUCKS.

11. tannethrill - Sep 7, 2012 at 10:22 AM

If peeing your pants is cool then consider me Miles Davis (says Bud Selig)

12. gostros19 - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Astro fans don’t think he’s so “money”

13. silversun60 - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Say what you will about Bud… but judging by that picture he can play a mean game of peek-a-boo.

14. fraleyr - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:03 PM

i seriously hate bud selig. baseball obviously needs replay exspansion but this old fart shoots it down. i wish he’d catch a foul ball to that akward melon he’s got on his shoulders. or retire i dont care as long as he’s gone.

15. wizzrdofaz - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:11 AM

He’s an asshat. He should have taken the Brewers back to the American League instead of the Astros. That would balance the division and with a team that can win…at times.

Do the Angels have any weaknesses?
  1. G. Stanton (3678)