Chipper Jones makes his last visit to New York

Sep 7, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT

Chipper at Shea

Memories, Like the corners of my mind …  Misty water-colored memories Of the way we were

Chipper Jones makes his final trip to New York to play the Mets this weekend.  I’m seriously wondering how the reception is going to go. On the one hand there is probably no player as hated by Mets fans over the past 20 years — and Jones has never shied from taunting them — but there also tends to be this whole grudging respect thing that happens to old adversaries.

If I had to guess, I’d say it’ll be three days of merciless “LARRY!” taunts, followed by a nice but not necessarily enthusiastic ovation at the end of Sunday’s game.  As for the gift the Mets will give him — because apparently every team is required to do this for reasons that elude me — I would suggest a paternity test, so that Mets fans might, once and for all, accept that Chipper is their daddy.

Anyway, Dave O’Brien has a nice piece up over at the AJC today walking us back through the Chipper-Mets memories.  Reminding us — as so many people I talk to seem to have forgotten — that the mammo four-Chipper-yicketty sweep of the Mets by the Braves in September 1999 took place in Atlanta, not Shea Stadium.  I bet if you asked 100 Braves and Mets fans about that, most would say it happened in New York, such is the legend by now.

1. sdelmonte - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:05 AM

We hate him in that harmless way you’re allowed to hate guys from other teams who eat your lunch. But honestly – and this despite loving baseball 1,000 times more than basketball – I don’t hate him nearly as much as I hate Reggie Miller. Chipper was always an adult about it. He didn’t gloat, or do trash talk (at least as far as I can recall). He let his bat do the talking. Miller (an all time great, too) was a jerk about it just a bit too often for my tastes.

Besides, can you really hate a guy who names his kid Shea? (Good thing he didn’t light it up at some other park. Imagine if he named his kid Citizen’s Bank!)

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:31 AM

“Imagine if he named his kid Citizen’s Bank”

Might help the kid cash a few checks though

• natstowngreg - Sep 7, 2012 at 1:13 PM

Exactly. Just as fans in Philly and Washington and Miami hate Larry Chipper, while respecting his accomplishments.

2. uuddlrlrbastart - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:06 AM

Not sure about today or tomorrow, but if Jones plays Sunday, I’m reasonably sure he’ll get a standing ovation at some point.

• skids003 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

The way he’s doing this year, I wouldn’t be surprised to see him hit a walk off homer to win it Sunday. That would be appropriate, I think.

• mrhojorisin - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:12 PM

Unless the Mets trade for him by then, I would be VERY surprised to see Chipper hit any kind of walk-off hit at any point this weekend.

3. heyblueyoustink - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

So you’re dismissing any chance of a Braves/Yankees World Series, since it;s his last trip to New York and all.

4. fanothegame - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Rather than the sappy gifts he has received around the league, the classiest (most respectful) thing the Mets could do for Chipper is hand him a one-way ticket to Siberia and shower him with the loudest chorus of “boo’s” he’s ever heard.

It is the most dignified thing a New Yorker could do for him and he would surely appreciate it more than a framed base and a pat on the back…

5. chill1184 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:20 AM

“As for the gift the Mets will give him — because apparently every team is required to do this for reasons that elude”

So you’re against showing a player respect when he’s actually earned it (not via roids like some of the other power bats in his era)? Did you have this same view when Bobby Cox was doing his retirement tour two years ago?

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:34 AM

How do you know he didn’t use ‘roids?

I don’t mean to bust your chops in particular, but that is the problem with the ‘roids rage…apart from the few guys how were actually caught and admitted it, we don’t really know who used, how many people used, how long the users used…

• chill1184 - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Well I guess until a test does come out (or some random tell-all book) I’ll reserve my judgement. We’ll probably hear more questions about it when it gets closer to his HOF vote.

• Alex K - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:50 AM

…..and what thier actual affect is on performance.

6. danaking - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:28 AM

I lived in Atlanta when i was in the army and retained a more than passing interest in the Braves over the years. I’m also rarely a fan of New York teams, though the Knicks of the late 60s and early 70s were faves, and I enjoy the Rangers and John Tortarella whenever they aren’t playing Pittsburgh. That being said, I have few more endearing sports memories than watching Chipper make the Mets his bitches when both teams were fighting for the NL East 10 – 12 years ago. I know some players seem to own certain teams, but I’ve never seen anyone repeatedly kill someone in big games the way Chipper did the Mets. And, as sdelmonte said above, he did it with class. Hit home run, return to dugout. Hit run scoring double, score run, return to dugout. Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

7. cur68 - Sep 7, 2012 at 10:35 AM

Larry is magic. That is all.

• skids003 - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:27 PM

For once, cur, I agree with you. I had lost all hope for you.

8. mrhojorisin - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Apparently, NYC is receiving him with open arms. Larry just tweeted this:

Chipper Jones ‏@RealCJ10Grand Hyatt….best room Ive ever had. This place is awesome. If this is an apology, I accept! Bottle of CR too? Love me some of the NYC!!!

AND, a New York place called Foley’s is calling itself Chipper’s for the weekend:

Who says New York ain’t classy?

9. Bob - Sep 7, 2012 at 12:53 PM

Actually, the story was written by Steve Hummer.

10. kevinbnyc - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:57 PM

I hope they give Chipper the home run apple

11. Gus - Sep 7, 2012 at 5:37 PM

Craig do you just assume that because Dave’s picture is at the top, he writes all the Braves stories for the AJC? First you attributed a story Carroll Rogers wrote to him and now Steve Hummer. Maybe you should read a by-line rather than look at the picture. I doubt you would appreciate your hard work being attributed to someone else.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3048)