Sep 7, 2012, 8:52 AM EDT
Memories, Like the corners of my mind … Misty water-colored memories Of the way we were …
Chipper Jones makes his final trip to New York to play the Mets this weekend. I’m seriously wondering how the reception is going to go. On the one hand there is probably no player as hated by Mets fans over the past 20 years — and Jones has never shied from taunting them — but there also tends to be this whole grudging respect thing that happens to old adversaries.
If I had to guess, I’d say it’ll be three days of merciless “LARRY!” taunts, followed by a nice but not necessarily enthusiastic ovation at the end of Sunday’s game. As for the gift the Mets will give him — because apparently every team is required to do this for reasons that elude me — I would suggest a paternity test, so that Mets fans might, once and for all, accept that Chipper is their daddy.
Anyway, Dave O’Brien has a nice piece up over at the AJC today walking us back through the Chipper-Mets memories. Reminding us — as so many people I talk to seem to have forgotten — that the mammo four-Chipper-yicketty sweep of the Mets by the Braves in September 1999 took place in Atlanta, not Shea Stadium. I bet if you asked 100 Braves and Mets fans about that, most would say it happened in New York, such is the legend by now.
- Another one bites the dust: Mets lose young catcher Travis d’Arnaud to fractured right hand 6
- National League GM says Phillies’ asking price for Cole Hamels hasn’t dropped “one bit” 7
- Giants receive their 2014 World Series championship rings 19
- Angels activate Garrett Richards for Sunday debut 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 38
- Video: Watch Kris Bryant get his first major league hit and RBI 12
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 38
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 25
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)