Sep 7, 2012, 12:33 PM EDT
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com has a column up about the impending end of Stephen Strasburg‘s season:
Having been informed by team management last week he will be shut down following next Wednesday’s start in New York, Strasburg finally has a clear view of the finish line on what will be remembered both as an equally remarkable and frustrating season for the young right-hander …
… “He’s all-in,” manager Davey Johnson said. “Every time he goes out, he’s committed to be the best he can be. He probably puts that standard higher than I like it. So I don’t see him ramping down to the last one of two, going at it any harder or any softer.”
Hope Johnson is right about the harder part. Because I get these visions of Strasburg, knowing that he has no reason to conserve energy because his season is over, rearing back for some extra mustard and blowing his arm out or something. Obviously that would be horrible and no one on the planet wants that to happen, but the irony, hoo-boy, that would be thick as hell. Sorry, my mind tends to wander into dark places sometimes.
That aside, I’m pro shutdown if the only alternative is this hooey from Jack McCaffery of the Times Herald:
So how can Selig nap while the Washington Nationals are announcing that they will disengage All-Star right-hander Stephen Strasburg under some cockeyed formula they believe will keep him stronger for some other season, not this one? … Selig, though, should demand that it not reach that point. For the good of the game, every team should be made to try its best to win every time it plays. Every. Time.
Yes, Bud should FORCE teams to make this or that personnel decision. That makes total sense.
(Thanks to Steve Silver for alerting me to McCaffery’s nonsense)
- Carlos Carrasco has a no-hitter through eight vs. the Rays 0
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 7
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 30
- Bobby Bonilla’s isn’t the only deferred money deal in the game. And isn’t even the worst. 48
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. 69
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM 75
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 46
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 12
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)