Sep 7, 2012, 5:51 PM EDT
The Cubs have seen enough from Jeff Samardzija to judge his 2012 a successful season, and manager Dale Sveum announced Friday that Samardzija’s 28th start Saturday against the Pirates would be his final outing of the year.
It is a precautionary move. Samardzija is currently at 165 2/3 innings this season after throwing 88 while working exclusively as a reliever last year.
While Samardzija possesses an 8-13 record, his ERA stands at 3.91 and he has a strong 171/55 K/BB ratio. He’s finishing on a high note, too, as he’s allowed just five earned runs and posted a 25/3 K/BB ratio over 21 innings in his last three starts.
Replacing Samardzija in the rotation will be Jason Berken, who was claimed off waivers from the Orioles today. Berken was 5-6 with a 3.60 ERA in 26 starts for Triple-A Norfolk this season. He’s made 81 relief appearances but never started a game as a major leaguer.
The Cubs will apparently finish out the year with a rotation of Chris Volstad, Travis Wood, Jason Germano, Chris Rusin and Berken. Volstad, who is 2-10 and has been demoted to the minors twice, is the only holdover from the Opening Day rotation that also included Ryan Dempster, Matt Garza, Paul Maholm and Samardzija.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 21
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 17
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 26
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (101)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)