Sep 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
I was on a radio show today and I was asked if I think Bobby Valentine would be the Red Sox manager on Opening Day 2013. I said I didn’t think he’d be the manager on October 3, 2012. But if he’s gone, who’s next? Bob Nightengale says, as we’ve heard elsewhere, that John Farrell is the Sox’ first choice. But …
If they can’t pry away Farrell, who’ll be the focus of attention at Fenway Park today as the Blue Jays open a three-game series there, look for the Red Sox to turn to Mike Scioscia if he is fired by the Los Angeles Angels.
If they can’t get either, they’ll be more likely to bring back Grady Little than keep Valentine.
Wow, that last line was a cheap shot.
Lots of ifs there. Scioscia is still safe — at least for now — and it seems unlikely that he’d be available. If the Angels do fire him, it’s probably because they missed out on the playoffs. And one wonders how Scioscia, despite his success in Anaheim, would be welcomed in Boston right after underachieving with a team that brought in boatloads of free agent talent. Because that’s kinda the problem Boston has had for the past couple of years.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 0
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 19
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 22
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 66
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)