Sep 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
I was on a radio show today and I was asked if I think Bobby Valentine would be the Red Sox manager on Opening Day 2013. I said I didn’t think he’d be the manager on October 3, 2012. But if he’s gone, who’s next? Bob Nightengale says, as we’ve heard elsewhere, that John Farrell is the Sox’ first choice. But …
If they can’t pry away Farrell, who’ll be the focus of attention at Fenway Park today as the Blue Jays open a three-game series there, look for the Red Sox to turn to Mike Scioscia if he is fired by the Los Angeles Angels.
If they can’t get either, they’ll be more likely to bring back Grady Little than keep Valentine.
Wow, that last line was a cheap shot.
Lots of ifs there. Scioscia is still safe — at least for now — and it seems unlikely that he’d be available. If the Angels do fire him, it’s probably because they missed out on the playoffs. And one wonders how Scioscia, despite his success in Anaheim, would be welcomed in Boston right after underachieving with a team that brought in boatloads of free agent talent. Because that’s kinda the problem Boston has had for the past couple of years.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 54
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 66
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 80
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 66
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)