Sep 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT
I was on a radio show today and I was asked if I think Bobby Valentine would be the Red Sox manager on Opening Day 2013. I said I didn’t think he’d be the manager on October 3, 2012. But if he’s gone, who’s next? Bob Nightengale says, as we’ve heard elsewhere, that John Farrell is the Sox’ first choice. But …
If they can’t pry away Farrell, who’ll be the focus of attention at Fenway Park today as the Blue Jays open a three-game series there, look for the Red Sox to turn to Mike Scioscia if he is fired by the Los Angeles Angels.
If they can’t get either, they’ll be more likely to bring back Grady Little than keep Valentine.
Wow, that last line was a cheap shot.
Lots of ifs there. Scioscia is still safe — at least for now — and it seems unlikely that he’d be available. If the Angels do fire him, it’s probably because they missed out on the playoffs. And one wonders how Scioscia, despite his success in Anaheim, would be welcomed in Boston right after underachieving with a team that brought in boatloads of free agent talent. Because that’s kinda the problem Boston has had for the past couple of years.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)