The Red Sox are eyeing Mike Scioscia?

Sep 7, 2012, 3:00 PM EDT

Mike Scioscia Getty Images

I was on a radio show today and I was asked if I think Bobby Valentine would be the Red Sox manager on Opening Day 2013. I said I didn’t think he’d be the manager on October 3, 2012.  But if he’s gone, who’s next?  Bob Nightengale says, as we’ve heard elsewhere, that John Farrell is the Sox’ first choice. But …

If they can’t pry away Farrell, who’ll be the focus of attention at Fenway Park today as the Blue Jays open a three-game series there, look for the Red Sox to turn to Mike Scioscia if he is fired by the Los Angeles Angels.

If they can’t get either, they’ll be more likely to bring back Grady Little than keep Valentine.

Wow, that last line was a cheap shot.

Lots of ifs there. Scioscia is still safe — at least for now — and it seems unlikely that he’d be available. If the Angels do fire him, it’s probably because they missed out on the playoffs. And one wonders how Scioscia, despite his success in Anaheim, would be welcomed in Boston right after underachieving with a team that brought in boatloads of free agent talent.  Because that’s kinda the problem Boston has had for the past couple of years.

1. kevinleaptrot - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:04 PM

Whomever gets the job, he’d better have a damn good recipe for fried chicken.

• shaggylocks - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Thumbs down for your annoyingly tired fried chicken joke, thumbs up for your use of the word “whomever.”

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:28 PM

So if I’d joked about having a well stocked beer cooler that too would have met with your disapproval?

• shaggylocks - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:41 PM

Hey, while you’re at it, why don’t you try to work in some Monica Lewinsky jokes? Maybe work in a “Where’s the beef?” reference. You know, keep it fresh.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

Go take a nap Mr. Crankypants. John Lackey was double fisting beers in the dugout a couple of weeks ago. Maybe if the Red Sox picked up some “fresh” bad habits, I could have some better jokes at their expense.

• sophiethegreatdane - Sep 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM

Just because you poor disenfranchised Sawks fans are tired of the beer and chicken cracks, does not mean the rest of us are. I intend to drop some PBR and KFC jokes for at least another few years. Then after a lull, it will be a funny classic wisecrack after the general public has forgotten.

Oh yes. The rest of us are into this large bucket of extra crispy for the long haul.

• Joe - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

Timely joke.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 7, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Sophie, I call dibs on the drumsticks.

2. mirmz - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:11 PM

I will shit my pants in frustration if Sosh gets fired and goes to the Sox. It would be the ultimate “Fuck you Arte, Fuck you Anaheim” move. It will also make me cry.

• paperlions - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:27 PM

Huh? Fired is fired….there are only 30 jobs, taking one of them after being fired would have nothing to do with the place that fired you and everything to do with….you know….wanting to manage a MLB team.

• echech88 - Sep 7, 2012 at 5:06 PM

This makes absolutely no sense.

I’m an Angels fan and even I think you’re out of your mind. If Scioscia is fired, THAT is the F-you move. Him taking an available job opening is not reciprocating just because they are semi-rivals.

What, is he supposed to wait out the Rockies job or something so as not to fluster the people who just hypothetically decided they’d rather pay him to go away than let him manage?

• cosanostra71 - Sep 7, 2012 at 6:29 PM

I feel like I’m the only Angels fan who doesn’t like Sciosca. I won’t shed any tears if he’s fired. I would actually be kind of happy if he went to the Sox. Yeah, they’d probably make the playoffs if he did, but then they’d find new and crushing ways to disappoint once they got there.

3. bw1980 - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM

I think this a reach. One, Scioscia has been and is an excellent manager. Two, Scioscia has never been reticent when it comes to voicing his dislike of the Red Sox.

• 18thstreet - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:42 PM

If Scioscia gets hired, all the noise about Bill James getting a bigger role in the organization was B.S.

I think they’ll look elsewhere.

I happen to like Farrell, but if he were such a prize, wouldn’t Toronto be having a better year? I’d like someone from the Francona Tree, but I’d look elsewhere. DeMarlo Hale?

4. number42is1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:24 PM

Girardi is available come Oct 4th.

• foxburgh - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:50 PM

Who in thier right mind, would want Girardi as a manager or even ball boy. He has to be the dummest manager that ever made a line up!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:19 PM

He has to be the dummest manager that ever made a line up!

Not sure if serious or joking, mainly due to your use of “dummest”…

• badintent - Sep 8, 2012 at 2:16 AM

Please pick the Next Sawk Manager

Hazel Mae KFC Manager
        Daffy Duck Bucky Dent
        Obombo Billy Martin
        Ken “Hawk ” Harrelson
        The Miller beer truck driver
        Whitey Bulger
        Mariah “Drama” Carey

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:25 PM

The Red Sox lust for the managers employed by other teams is a form of tampering as they have leaked many stories to the local media indicating their interest in Farrell. They should be careful of what you wish for. The Jays just might file a tampering charge or say OK in exchange for future considerations such as the next 3 first round draft picks. Of course, Farrell may not want to work for the cesspool that the Red Sox have become.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

Not sure why anyone in their right mind would want to manage the Red Sox. So much mistrust everywhere.

• 18thstreet - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:45 PM

Because the check clears.

• kevinleaptrot - Sep 7, 2012 at 11:08 PM

Fried Chicken and Beer! What more could you want out of life?

6. Joe - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I bet Brad Mills would come back.

• keithbangedyermom - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM

THAT is actually a good idea.

7. cur68 - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

This is crazy. I mean I understand this crazy, but its still crazy. With Terry Francona they won. A lot. Last year September they were riddled with injuries, had some bad luck and the O’s of this season actually showed up September LAST season, if anyone bothers to check. The Orioles showed up and the beat that injured limping team (just like they are beating everyone THIS season) under Tito, 2 games to 3 to knock them out of the playoff picture. By one game. The best man for this job, providing he’d even take it, is Terry Francona. If anyone is left in Red Sox Nation they need to be shouting this from the rooftops. He won’t get them back to winning right away, but he’ll manage the egos, keep the feathers from ruffling, and his mouth shut to the media. He’ll actually do what a manager is supposed to do: manage. Get Mike Socisia? For what? To NOT win? They can do that with Valentine.

• baseballisboring - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Francona’s clearly the guy for the job, but hell would freeze over before he came back. I’m more annoyed that they’re trying to go with a “big name” instead of just finding someone who’s right for the job. The meddling douche bag owners just need to stay the hell out of it and let Cherington find his man, not try to pry other managers away from other teams that probably aren’t going anywhere. We don’t need “star power”, we need the exact opposite. Someone that will manage the personalities and not throw gas on the media fire. That’s it. Cherington is perfectly capable of picking a manager himself.

8. raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Oct 2, 2012, an argument develops:

Bobby Valentine, “it’s rabbit season”
    Bugs Bunny, “manager season”
    BV, “rabbit season!”
    Bugs, “manager season!”
    BV, “rabbit season!”
    Bugs, “manager season!”
    BV, “rabbit season!”
    Bugs, “rabbit season!”
    BV, “manager season!”
    Bugs, “rabbit season!”
    BV, “I say it’s manager season, and I say FIRE!!”

9. jarathen - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:30 PM

Scioscia was slipping into a rut as a manager over the last few seasons, but with his power grip being loosened by DiPoto, I think he’s doing a better job. He DID bring up Trout after it was apparent his legs were back under him after the illness that ruined his spring training, and Vernon Wells is still not an every day starter.

Now if he just could’ve let Hank Conger play while Iannetta was out…

• paperlions - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Really, managers call up players now?

• jarathen - Sep 7, 2012 at 7:15 PM

He didn’t have to play him. Last I checked, managers fill in the lineup card. Your eally think DiPoto makes every single move, and Scioscia just mumbles a “Yes’um” and goes along with his day?

• paperlions - Sep 7, 2012 at 7:21 PM

I’m not sure why a manager should get credit for playing a player that will be the ROY and MVP….if he can’t recognize that level of talent, he has no business having any job in baseball.

• echech88 - Sep 7, 2012 at 5:08 PM

It was actually DiPoto that called Trout up. Scioscia was the one playing Vernon Wells way too much and benching Trumbo every other day.

• cosanostra71 - Sep 7, 2012 at 6:33 PM

well, Conger was also injured for a good portion of when Iannetta was.

10. beefytrout - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:35 PM

I may be a bit biased here, but if your team signs the best available hitter and the best available pitcher in the off-season, has the unanimous ROY and likely AL MVP hitting leadoff, and trades for the best available starting pitcher at midseason…. and then you end up in third place and miss the postseason, then yeah – you are probably going to get fired.

• jarathen - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:49 PM

The best available pitcher has not been fantastic. It’s been rare for the pitching to be in sync all season, and if anything, that should fall on Butcher. The Angels canned Hatcher and have been better. Now to dump the other. Hatch’n’ Butch, Good While It Lasted.

• sportsdrenched - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I’ve been on the fence on if I think the Angels should keep Scoscia around or not. You framing the argument that way had me convinced Scioscia needed to go for a few seconds. But then I asked my self ever orgnanization who is pondering such a move. It’s a question the Red Sox should have asked before they ran Tito out of town…so I will ask you: Who are you going to get that’s better?

• beefytrout - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM

I should also point out that when the angels traded for Grienke, they were in second place and only 3 games behind the Rangers… and that’s after digging themselves out of the 9 game hole they were in during *April* and overcoming pujols’ slow start.

Instead, not only did they lose ground to Texas, they got passed by oakland.

11. randygnyc - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:47 PM

Farrell is definitely not going to the Sox. The Jays have him under contract and even changed their policies so they won’t allow their employees to make lateral moves to other clubs. That policy was specifically changed because of the possibility of Farrell defecting to the sox.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:21 PM

If you are Farrell, why would you even want to go to the Sox? Seems like they’re going to get stuck with a first year manager who wants to cut his (her?) teeth than an established guy* who gets to deal with that mess?

*unless the Sox throw an absurd amount of money around…

• 18thstreet - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Francona was hired for a few reasons outside of his baseball acumen:

– He had managed in Philadelphia, so he had dealt with a tough media and fan base.
        – He managed Michael Jordan in AA Birmingham, so he was used to dealing with egos (and, again, a media circus).
        – Hiring Francona was a lure to bring in Schilling, which was never a sure thing given Schilling had to waive his no-trade clause.
        – After the Grady Little debacle, they were inclined to hire a statistically literate manager. (John Henry was so mad watching Pedro Martinez get left in the 2003 ALCS Game Seven, he reportedly asked if he could fire Little even if the Red Sox won the game.)

The job requires dealing with big personalities (managing them, as it were), defusing a cut throat media, and placating a discerning fan base (we were really harsh on Jimy Williams, which I never understood).

I don’t expect the Red Sox are going to hire a first-year manager. But I also never expected they would hire Bobby Valentine, so I’m probably wrong about all of this.

12. stephenolszewski - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:56 PM

Yeah… that’ll fix it

13. willclarkgameface - Sep 7, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Lou Merloni said on the Red Sox flagshit station (that was intended) that he likes Eric Wedge very much, but wouldn’t want to subject him to the crap here.

Who is going to want this job other than guys like Valentine that couldn’t get a MLB job if they PAID the owner to take them?

This is what they call karma John Henry. You had a guy that worked well here and you threw him under the bus because the players couldn’t be MEN and your GM couldn’t discipline said problems either.

How about we just unfreeze Teddy Ballgame’s head and let that thing manage the team? We’re really at that point now.

14. elmaquino - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:09 PM

Oh sure, the Red Sox can eye whoever they want, but when / do it, it’s creepy.

15. scouter2012 - Sep 7, 2012 at 4:16 PM

It’s time for Lou Piniella to come out of retirement.

• 18thstreet - Sep 7, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Can someone explain why some fans seem to find the fiery manager genre so appealing? Is it that you people dream of yelling at young millionaires? Are you motivated at work by having your boss embarrass you publicly?

Lou Pinella managed 23 years and won one (1) pennant and then the World Series, and finished in fifth place the next year. His career winning percentage is .517. He managed a team with Alex Rodriguez, Edgar Martinez, Ken Griffey, Jr., and Randy Johnson — and somehow never won a playoff series with them. I still can’t believe it.

If he didn’t throw a base now and then, no one would give him a second thought.

• raysfan1 - Sep 7, 2012 at 8:35 PM

Winning a World Series doesn’t happen by accident, and it’s obviously hard to do, so I would not denigrate Piniella’s career based on that. However, he is a fiery guy who was known to have run-ins with players and media…kind of like Valentine. Therefore, I took scouter’s comment as a joke.

• cur68 - Sep 7, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Pinella? pfft. Tito managed a team with a third the talent and won it all. Twice. THAT’ S the guy Henry and the rest of the brain trust should be going after and BEG him to come back. I hope the Sox do get Farrel. I like Farrel. Seems like a nice man and a decent manager. But, if they do get him, the Beaver Men FO should IMMEDIATELY make Terry Francona the best paid manager in MLB history. Considering how the same guys imploded under Valentine it’s becoming increasingly obvious that the best man for getting a bunch of millionaires, ego-testicle jocks to work together in the Boston market, thick or thin, hell or high water is Terry Francona. He got worn down by the media and his FO last season. Thrown under the bus an dry steered on, even. That wouldn’t happen in Beaver Land. He’d be the best manager my boys have had since Cito Gaston.

• leighkarl - Sep 7, 2012 at 7:24 PM

Totally agree – bring Francona back! But he probably would refuse.

• 24missed - Sep 7, 2012 at 10:06 PM

So, just a nice man and a decent manager? I’ve been curious how the Jays’ fans have evaluated Farrel as a manager. Interesting. What else ya got?

We’ve got the love~well, maybe find intelligent ~ and the calling for Bobby V’s head over on this end. I groan and think of him as, ‘Grady Valentine.’ The hook for pitchers is too long. The bullpen genius? Oy-vey. Aceves. That dude clearly had defined his role and excelled in it last year. And do we really need a bullpen genius when you’ve been handed a loss already? C’mon. What happens in the clubhouse, stays in the clubhouse. Kudos to BV for handling his critiques, such as this, so far. I’m sure there are other good qualities, but I am just looking at what I am not thrilled.

That’s one fan’s take.

Is it just too easy to take on BV? Am I asking too much of another fan of another team? Especially, when Farrel is highly thought of in Boston?

*I’m with you on Francona, for the Sox. I don’t see it happening, but I’m all for it. Stranger things have happened.

16. randygnyc - Sep 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

The only way Farrell coaches in Boston next year is if the BLUE JAYS decide to allow him to coach there. It’s not up to Farrell, neither is it primarily up to Boston.

17. dondada10 - Sep 7, 2012 at 5:59 PM

Mike Scioscia has one 1 playoff series since Joe Maddon left. Just saying.

18. dondada10 - Sep 7, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Mike Scioscia has won 1 playoff series since Joe Maddon left. Just saying.

• cosanostra71 - Sep 7, 2012 at 6:38 PM

normally I thumbs down double posts, but I couldn’t agree with this one more

19. Jack Marshall - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:30 AM

If Valentine is fired, it will be one of the most unfair firings ever, but a happy triumph for the anti-Valentine sports media that was out to get him from the beginning. A combination of John McGraw, Earl Weaver and Whitey Herzog couldn’t have done any better with a team suffering through that rash of injuries to key players, a pathetic performance from the two “aces,” a half-season of atrocious pitching from Buchholtz and Bard’s meltdown.

20. throughthewickets - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

As long as Boston reaches into the well for former Rangers managers, Kevin Kennedy, anyone? Oh, wait a minute. Been there. Done that.

Good news Red Sox Nation! I hear Doug Radar is available….

21. therealtrenches - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:10 AM

Bring mike to the phillies, please!!! Charlie’s retirement and Mikey’s move east should bring him home!!!!

22. db105 - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Is this the same manager that had Trout in the minors and Trumbo on the bench earlier this season?

23. daveod1817 - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:42 PM

Old man Henry should think twice about this moron Valentine.
    This city has been very nice to Henry with attendance for over 700 games and they hate his ASS.
    If you screw around with a manager to replace the moron you will lose. Attendance, purchases ,and fan following will suffer.
    There was a reason this MORON had not managed in the bigs for 10 years. Now you know why.
    And his attitude sucks just like him

24. xbam - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:20 PM

To bad Colonel Sanders isnt available to manage the Sux next year!

25. steelyjay - Sep 20, 2012 at 9:14 AM

Boston – The only person you need to set your sights on (if he desired the job) is Jason Varitek. The players respect him, management respects him, and the media respects him

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey