Sep 8, 2012, 12:31 PM EDT
The Blue Jays haven’t been able to catch a break with their pitching staff this season, so it makes perfect sense that J.A. Happ is done for the year with an injury to his right foot.
According to Ken Fidlin of the Toronto Sun, Blue Jays manager John Farrell said a fracture was found in the foot after he felt lingering discomfort in his ankle following a play at first base on August 29 against the Yankees.
“We’re not quite sure where it started,” manager John Farrell said. “The play at first base irritated his ankle where he was feeling discomfort at the time. When the discomfort lingered, we had an MRI done and it showed a fracture in the foot. The recommendation is to have surgery and his season is over.”
Happ, who was acquired from the Astros in July in a 10-player trade, posted a 4.69 ERA and 46/17 K/BB ratio in 40 1/3 innings over six starts and four relief appearances with Toronto. The 29-year-old southpaw is the eighth Blue Jays pitcher to go down with a season-ending injury this year, joining Robert Coello, Kyle Drabek, Drew Hutchison, Jesse Litsch, Dustin McGowan, Luis Perez and Sergio Santos.
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 75
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 62
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 66
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 72
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)