Sep 8, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The Angels topped the Tigers 3-2 last night and have won 13 out of their last 16 games to improve to 75-63 on the year. While they currently sit just two games back in the Wild Card race, they will be without their ace for a little while longer.
Jered Weaver is currently shut down due to right biceps tendinitis. While it was initially thought that that the injury was due to him being hit by a line drive last Sunday, Weaver told Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times yesterday that he has felt discomfort in the shoulder dating back to a start against the Athletics on August 6.
“It’s been lingering ever since,” Weaver said. “I’ve pitched through this before. I’d do the treatment. But when it feels like it was getting better, I would have to throw 100 to 120 pitches and it sets me back again.”
Weaver has a 6.14 ERA in five starts since August 6 and has allowed seven home runs in just 29 1/3 innings, so it appears that the shoulder had an impact on his performance. An MRI this week didn’t show anything more than “normal wear and tear,” so the hope is that some rest will do the trick. He’s scheduled to throw from on the side from 75 to 90 feet today after which the next step will be decided, but he said he’s determined to return this year, even if he has to do it at less than 100 percent.
Weaver, 29, is 16-4 with a 2.86 ERA and 121/38 K/BB ratio over 25 starts this season. He ranks first in the American League with a 1.03 WHIP.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 0
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 11
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)