Sep 8, 2012, 2:12 PM EDT
The Angels topped the Tigers 3-2 last night and have won 13 out of their last 16 games to improve to 75-63 on the year. While they currently sit just two games back in the Wild Card race, they will be without their ace for a little while longer.
Jered Weaver is currently shut down due to right biceps tendinitis. While it was initially thought that that the injury was due to him being hit by a line drive last Sunday, Weaver told Lance Pugmire of the Los Angeles Times yesterday that he has felt discomfort in the shoulder dating back to a start against the Athletics on August 6.
“It’s been lingering ever since,” Weaver said. “I’ve pitched through this before. I’d do the treatment. But when it feels like it was getting better, I would have to throw 100 to 120 pitches and it sets me back again.”
Weaver has a 6.14 ERA in five starts since August 6 and has allowed seven home runs in just 29 1/3 innings, so it appears that the shoulder had an impact on his performance. An MRI this week didn’t show anything more than “normal wear and tear,” so the hope is that some rest will do the trick. He’s scheduled to throw from on the side from 75 to 90 feet today after which the next step will be decided, but he said he’s determined to return this year, even if he has to do it at less than 100 percent.
Weaver, 29, is 16-4 with a 2.86 ERA and 121/38 K/BB ratio over 25 starts this season. He ranks first in the American League with a 1.03 WHIP.
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 52
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 101
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 74
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 75
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 49
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 32
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)