Sep 8, 2012, 4:21 PM EDT
This isn’t quite on the level of Stephen Strasburg, but another talented young right-hander will be shut down soon.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Matt Harvey will make two more starts before being shut down for the season. His next scheduled start is Wednesday against the Nationals while his season will likely end during a three-game series against the Phillies at Citi Field from September 17-19. Jenrry Mejia is expected to take his rotation spot the rest of the way.
Harvey has logged 157 1/3 innings between the majors and minors this year after throwing 135 2/3 innings in his first professional season last year. The 23-year-old rookie has been mighty impressive over his first eight starts in the big leagues, posting a 3.04 ERA and 53/20 K/BB ratio over 47 1/3 innings. If all goes according to plan, he’ll open 2013 in the Mets’ rotation along with Johan Santana, R.A. Dickey, Jon Niese and Dillon Gee. Top prospect Zack Wheeler shouldn’t be too far behind.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)