Sep 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Horrible news here for the first-place Orioles.
Markakis suffered the injury in the sixth inning Saturday after getting struck with a CC Sabathia fastball that was clocked at 93 mph. He was immediately taken into the clubhouse for X-rays and was spotted hugging O’s manager Buck Showalter when he popped back into the dugout about 30 minutes later. The diagnosis was finally revealed after the game.
Markakis, 28, was batting .298/.363/.471 with 13 home runs and 54 RBI through 104 games played.
Baltimore will have to make a deep run into the postseason in order for him to return to action this year. Which is going to be difficult with Lew Ford and Nate McLouth serving as the starting corner outfielders.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)