Sep 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EST
Horrible news here for the first-place Orioles.
Markakis suffered the injury in the sixth inning Saturday after getting struck with a CC Sabathia fastball that was clocked at 93 mph. He was immediately taken into the clubhouse for X-rays and was spotted hugging O’s manager Buck Showalter when he popped back into the dugout about 30 minutes later. The diagnosis was finally revealed after the game.
Markakis, 28, was batting .298/.363/.471 with 13 home runs and 54 RBI through 104 games played.
Baltimore will have to make a deep run into the postseason in order for him to return to action this year. Which is going to be difficult with Lew Ford and Nate McLouth serving as the starting corner outfielders.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (87)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)