Sep 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Horrible news here for the first-place Orioles.
Markakis suffered the injury in the sixth inning Saturday after getting struck with a CC Sabathia fastball that was clocked at 93 mph. He was immediately taken into the clubhouse for X-rays and was spotted hugging O’s manager Buck Showalter when he popped back into the dugout about 30 minutes later. The diagnosis was finally revealed after the game.
Markakis, 28, was batting .298/.363/.471 with 13 home runs and 54 RBI through 104 games played.
Baltimore will have to make a deep run into the postseason in order for him to return to action this year. Which is going to be difficult with Lew Ford and Nate McLouth serving as the starting corner outfielders.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Joey Gallo earns Futures Game MVP honors after leading Team USA to victory 4
- Major League Baseball needs to shift the All-Star week schedule 49
- Braves suspend Dan Uggla one game for being extremely tardy on Saturday in Chicago 39
- Cliff Lee on track to return to Phillies’ rotation July 21 4
- MRI shows biceps strain, no structural damage, for Nationals starter Jordan Zimmermann 2
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 22
- Reds hope to get Joey Votto back for the “stretch run” 8
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (192)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (114)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)
- Woman knocked unconscious during fight between A’s and Giants fans outside AT&T Park (84)