Sep 8, 2012, 11:00 PM EDT
Horrible news here for the first-place Orioles.
Markakis suffered the injury in the sixth inning Saturday after getting struck with a CC Sabathia fastball that was clocked at 93 mph. He was immediately taken into the clubhouse for X-rays and was spotted hugging O’s manager Buck Showalter when he popped back into the dugout about 30 minutes later. The diagnosis was finally revealed after the game.
Markakis, 28, was batting .298/.363/.471 with 13 home runs and 54 RBI through 104 games played.
Baltimore will have to make a deep run into the postseason in order for him to return to action this year. Which is going to be difficult with Lew Ford and Nate McLouth serving as the starting corner outfielders.
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 36
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 22
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 35
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)