Sep 8, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT
The Yankees are all alone again in first place in the American League East. At least for now. After giving up six home runs on Thursday to fall back into a tie for the division lead, the Yankees topped the Orioles 8-5 last night at Camden Yards.
The Yankees hit three home runs in the victory, including Alex Rodriguez‘s 300th as a member of the Yankees and the 645th of his career. Wei-Yin Chen tied a career-high by giving up seven runs over 4 2/3 innings. He allowed five runs in the fourth inning, including a three-run homer by Russell Martin and a two-run shot by Steve Pearce.
Phil Hughes yielded three runs (two earned) over six innings for his 14th victory of the season. Things got a little interesting when Adam Jones hit a three-run homer in the sixth, but the Yankees were able to avoid the disaster inning this time around. Robert Andino and Manny Machado later added solo homers, but it wasn’t enough. Oh, and Yankee-killer Mark Reynolds was finally held in check. He went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.
Your Friday box scores:
Rangers 1, Rays 3 (11 innings)
Marlins 9, Nationals 7 (10 innings)
Brewers 5, Cardinals 4 (13 innings)
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 7
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)