Settling the Score: Friday’s results

Sep 8, 2012, 8:55 AM EDT

Reuters Martin Soriano Reuters

The Yankees are all alone again in first place in the American League East. At least for now. After giving up six home runs on Thursday to fall back into a tie for the division lead, the Yankees topped the Orioles 8-5 last night at Camden Yards.

The Yankees hit three home runs in the victory, including Alex Rodriguez‘s 300th as a member of the Yankees and the 645th of his career. Wei-Yin Chen tied a career-high by giving up seven runs over 4 2/3 innings. He allowed five runs in the fourth inning, including a three-run homer by Russell Martin and a two-run shot by Steve Pearce.

Phil Hughes yielded three runs (two earned) over six innings for his 14th victory of the season. Things got a little interesting when Adam Jones hit a three-run homer in the sixth, but the Yankees were able to avoid the disaster inning this time around. Robert Andino and Manny Machado later added solo homers, but it wasn’t enough. Oh, and Yankee-killer Mark Reynolds was finally held in check. He went 0-for-4 with two strikeouts.

The two teams will meet again tonight when C.C. Sabathia opposes Joe Saunders.

Your Friday box scores:

Cubs 12, Pirates 2

Rockies 2, Phillies 3

Rangers 1, Rays 3 (11 innings)

Marlins 9, Nationals 7 (10 innings)

Braves 3, Mets 0

Blue Jays 7, Red Sox 5

Royals 7, White Sox 5

Astros 5, Reds 3

Indians 7, Twins 6

Tigers 2, Angels 3

Brewers 5, Cardinals 4 (13 innings)

Diamondbacks 5, Padres 6

Athletics 6, Mariners 1

Dodgers 2, Giants 5

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM

The Empire Struck Back yesterday and is favored to do so today. Baltimore fans should not feel too comfortable as the Athletics, Rays and Angels all won.

At the other end of the spectrum, the Jays got off to a good start against the Red Sox thanks to the energetic return of Lawrie who had a lead off double and scored the first run. Rasmus broke out of his slump with a triple and a home run. The triple hit the base of the wall at the 420 foot mark in the outfield triangle. His homer only made it over the fence at the 380 foot mark. Rasmus seems to feed off Lawrie’s energy. When they bat first and second, good things happen.

2. uyf1950 - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:25 AM

Yesterday was Phil Hughes 12 quality start in his last 17 starts dating back to his start on June 3rd. Good overall game for both Hughes and the Yankees.

• doctorfootball - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:41 AM

Hughes still misses location way too much. He got away with more than a few bad pitches. I can’t even begin to count how many times Martin put his glove down and away and Hughes threw the ball high and inside. He’s going to continue to give up monster homeruns til he learns better control.

• uyf1950 - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:48 AM

You can also look at as he fooled a lot of the Orioles batters so they swung at bad pitches. There are 2 sides to every coin. Keep in mind he’s not the ace of the staff he was being counted on at the start of the season to be a #4 or even a #5. He’s producing much more like a #3 and that’s not a bad thing.

3. semnsportsfan - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:23 AM

Forget one D.J.? I mean I know the Twins and Indians suck and all but they DID play a game last night…

Indians 7, Twins 6

• D.J. Short - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:50 AM

Fixed. Sorry about that!

4. natstowngreg - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:24 AM

We tend to forget that Stephen Strasburg is a 24-year old kid with major surgery in his recent past. He has mechanics that stress his right elbow, something that was known when he was drafted. He may be a once-in-a-generation talent, but he will also carry an above-average injury risk throughout his career.

Nationals’ management understands that risk and has manged it carefully. Mike Rizzo is playing for the long run, and all but the most clueless fans should get that by now. Strasburg’s career is off to a Hall of Fame start. Doesn’t take Bill James to see that in a kid with superficial career stats of 21-10, 2.94, 1.09 WHIP. But another stat is important: 251.1 innings in 3 seasons. You don’t make the Hall of Fame if you don’t pitch. Ask Mark Prior and Kerry Wood.

After last night’s game, when Strasburg failed for the second time in three starts, Davey commented that he was distracted by the impending shutdown. That Stephen feels he’s letting down his teammates. This makes sense. One thing has emerged about Stephen Strasburg: he is an intense competitor. The kid makes the right noises, but this is killing him. Tim Kurkjian suggested that, if Strasburg is being affected, he might not make his last start. Davey doesn’t want to send out a starter whose head is somewhere else. Though I suspect he will start.

Oh, and the game. Regardless of their respective positions in the standings, the Nats scuffle to beat the Fish. Right now, I have a bigger concern than Strasburg, and that’s the bullpen. The Nats, not surprisingly, came back to tie the game at 6. Then Clippard blew it in the 10th. Also not surprisingly, the Nats came back again in the 10th, but Steve Cishek managed. A disappointing result because we Nats fans are used to the team winning games like this. But this team has shown a remarkable resilience, so no reason for much worry.

The Nats lost a game to the Braves, but still have a 6.5-game cushion. Still 2.5 games up for the NL #1 seed. Ross Detwiler vs. Mark Buehrle this afternoon.

• Old Gator - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:56 AM

One quick comment on last night’s Feesh veectory – though, as I’ve noted before, these games are meaningless tryout sessions for them now, just decorating the basement, as it were – on Desmond’s amazing diving catch of the Iron Giant’s short outfield bloop in whatever inning it was (I was busy baking yuzu muffins and banana spelt walnut bran muffins for tonight’s open mike at the Luna Star and watching out of the corner of my eye).

Otherwise, premium plenum postpubescent peetching prospect Jacob Turner, after coughing up a gopher to Invader Zim in the first, found some more dominant DNA than his bologna gene and retired 17 of the next 18 he faced, looking like he’d found his footing and demonstrating why the Feesh snatched at him. ‘Course it took Krazy Karlos Lamebraino to come in and nearly gift back the game, and he did cost the kid his first win, but we got to see some flashes of what attracted him to the Feesh notochord trust in the first place.

I suspect things will return to normal tonight in DC, though.

• natstowngreg - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:11 PM

Unfortunately, “normal” is good for the Fish. Take a lead off Ross Detwiler, lose most of the lead. At the moment, we’re awaiting the bottom of the 9th with the Fish up 6-5.

5. thatyankeedude - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:08 AM

Took a look at the Yankees remaining schedule as well as rays and Os if the Yankees catch fire, which they can, it could be another good year for them.

• Old Gator - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:57 AM

Well yeah but up until about midway through this season you would have said that the schedule favored the Borg if they had lots of in-division games left with the Gloryholes. My my how things have changed. Peter Angelos is a genius.

• derklempner - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:59 PM

“The Borg”? “The Gloryholes”?

TMQ you are not.

6. ravensoriolesnation - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

Os are on fire watch out Yankees hope the rain holds off for tonights game lower box let’s go Os

• proudlycanadian - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:01 PM

The O’s were on fire but seem to have cooled off. They have won 6 out of their last 10, which is the same as the Rays who are only 1 game back of them. The team that is on fire is the Angels who have won 9 of their last 10. If you look behind you, you might notice that there are a couple of dangerous teams gunning for the O’s.

7. APBA Guy - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:33 PM

The King was a commoner last night, elevating and missing location like someone with a fraction of his talent. And the day off seemed to have helped the A’s get over their sweep at the hands of the Angels, who remain en fuego. Good to see Mix-a-Lot take advantage of the rare King Felix off night, though he had a ton of full counts, Griffin pitched effectively.

8. thatyankeedude - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:52 PM

Old gator I try to read ur comments cause I think u have interesting things to say but could u please dummy down ur vocab a little bit? It’s Like reading a different language and sometimes im not even sure if some of them are even words lol

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 8, 2012 at 2:41 PM

Come on, are you really going to post that after using ur/u/lol?

• Old Gator - Sep 8, 2012 at 3:02 PM

“Words are things. The words he is in possession of he cannot be deprived of. Their authority transcends his ignorance of their meaning.”

Cormac McCarthy, Blood Meridian, p.85

9. moogro - Sep 8, 2012 at 1:21 PM

It was pretty painful watching a clearly tired and wild Beckett flounder out there in the 7th until the game was lost with the playoffs at stake. The bullpen was full of better options and match-ups. That was bad managing by Donnie.

10. mazblast - Sep 8, 2012 at 3:21 PM

Last night was “just one game”, just like Thursday’s game. I mention this for “we’re on our way” Yankee fans around the world who are now crowing about a one-game winning streak.

11. thatyankeedude - Sep 8, 2012 at 3:25 PM

Im not trying to offend the guy I truly wanna know what the heck he is trying to say. And seriously? U obviously understand what I wrote with the u, ur and lol. I am an avid baseball fan, I just wanna c what other people have to say. Clearly old gator comes off as an educated guy with the big words and what not but I want to know if he actually IS a smart guy. Why not try to say something so everyone can understand unless u really don’t have a valid point and just like to jabber on? I think that old gator probably has some good points but they get lost when people have to break out a dictionary just to get an idea of what he has to say.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:26 PM

Gator is a retired English professor and a fan of “free jazz”. He is exercising his inner James Joyce in his creative writing.

• Old Gator - Sep 8, 2012 at 6:13 PM

Just out of curiosity, why is it that so many folks expect the bar to be lowered to their level by someone else instead of wanting to raise it for themselves?

Well, ackcherley, I’m not really curious. I’ve been around more than long enough to have a pretty good handle on things like peer pressure, late capitalist kitsch culture (and the way it conditions us to expect so little of ourselves) and what Ralph Ellison called the “crabs in a bucket effect,” wherein the crab on top of the heap keeps getting pulled back down when it tries to climb out of the bucket by the ones underneath.

And yeah, modern jazz as a rhetorical model…no sense letting a language die in its sleep, is there?

12. stex52 - Sep 8, 2012 at 5:35 PM

Astros guaranteed that they will not tie for worst modern-day one season record. At least for 2012. We will see what 2013 brings in the AL West. I have to say that they did it with some style, rallying for three in the ninth against Aroldis. Some hope may be in order that they have decided they need to do no more stripping of the lineup.

Luhnow, your game. We are watching.

13. thatyankeedude - Sep 8, 2012 at 7:37 PM

Well I’m not really trying to lower the bar for myself. I have always had high expectations and always will have high expectations. But if u want to be understood and believe it or not people my age do like to learn from our elders, than just talk normal. I like to discuss baseball that’s why I have this app on my phone and that’s why I read the comments. I like to learn but Im on a baseball app to educate myself on the current events in baseball, not to learn new words.

• Old Gator - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:27 PM

Take a step back and look at what you just wrote: “if u want” as opposed to “if you want.” “Than just talk normal” as opposed to “then just talk normally.” “…not to learn new words.” That’s not “talking normal,” that’s talking illiterately. If you want to pick and choose the venues wherein you will “learn new words,” best of luck to you, but when I was your age – and I assume you are either a teenager or young adult based on the hints you have provided – I was eager and willing to learn from every source at any time. Those are the primary reasons why, at your age, for example, I already knew the difference between adjectives and adverbs, as well as how to punctuate correctly. It’s probably not a great idea to claim that you’re willing to learn in one breath, and then to declare the limitations you’ve placed on your learning opportunities in the next.

14. thatyankeedude - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:16 PM

I believe you may have read my comment out of context. I said I like to learn but since this is a baseball/ sports app I’d rather learn the current events of baseball not proper English and grammar on this particular app. But I do appreciate your advice on always trying to take advantage of learning opportunities. However since I’m taking 19 credit hours at MU I dont really want to do a ton of “school learning” during my off time. I get kinda burnt out.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet