The Brewers and Cardinals played into the wee small hours of the morning

Sep 8, 2012, 9:23 AM EDT

Ryan Braun Getty Getty Images

If you missed the end of this one, don’t feel bad. This was one for the die-hards.

After the start of last night’s game was delayed two hours and 20 minutes due to rain, the Brewers and Cardinals ended up playing a four-hour and 30-minute marathon which didn’t end until 3:05 AM ET.

The Brewers grabbed a two-run lead going into the bottom of the eighth, but Yadier Molina tied it up with a two-run shot off Jim Henderson. The bullpens then matched zeros all the way until Ryan Braun launched a solo homer off Lance Lynn in the top of the 13th to give the Brewers a 5-4 lead. John Axford worked around a walk to Lance Berkman to secure the save.

Braun’s solo shot gave him 38 homers for the year, surpassing his previous career-high of 37 from last year. As for the Brewers, well, they aren’t dead yet. Winners of 14 out of their last 18 games, they now sit at 68-70 on the year, six games behind the Cardinals for the second Wild Card spot. They’ll try to keep chipping away over the next two days.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2012 at 9:31 AM

Yes, please Brewers chip away at this lead. Sitting snugly right behind the Brewers are the Phillies. Far fetched that either team would be able to overtake the Cards/Dodgers/Pirates…but the Phillies have a stretch of games here where they can pile up the W’s. Shit, I know it is wishful thinking…but tis the life of a Phillies fan this season.

2. whitdog23 - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM

those games are against teams they’ve already played this season..right? yet the Phils have a losing record. now magically they should win every game?? Hmmmmm. another ridiculous Phils fan observation

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Did you not see that I said “far fetched” and “wishful thinking”? So, before being an ass maybe read and COMPREHEND what is being written. Also, it should be noted that the Phillies are playing their best baseball of the season right now.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Also, 3-1 v Colorado….2-0 v Houston …..losing record against Mets and Miami. So, your statement is partially factually incorrect as well. So, I guess we can add the term ignorant to the previously mentioned descriptors of ass and illiterate.

• deepstblu - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:02 AM

I don’t think the Phillies as currently constructed have enough offense to really rip off a long hot streak. However, they are 21-14 since July 31, about 2/3 of that against contenders.

3. whodeytn - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:39 AM

Get a room you dorks.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:04 AM

What does that even mean in this context?

4. townballblog - Sep 8, 2012 at 10:52 AM

Do we still think that Ryan Braun was juicing last year?

• paperlions - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

Are you kidding? Those that love the steroid narrative think he’s still juicing and just beating the system.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:19 PM

They may be right, but you have to admit, that kind of puts him (and just about anyone) in quite the absurd position. Do we then simply assume that all players having great seasons are cheating? All he’s done is have another amazing season…like he always does…with less lineup protection. And I’m going to assume that he’s under more MLB scrutiny than ever. Seems to me he deserves a bit more respect than he’s getting. When do WE give him a mulligan?

• okwhitefalcon - Sep 8, 2012 at 3:36 PM

Until there’s an explanation of why his synthetic testerone levels were 3 1/2 times “over the legal limit” he’ll never get a mulligan, he’ll always be viewed as someone who got one past the goalie.

It’s too bad really, helluva player and seems to be a good guy.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:58 AM

I think it’s safe to say there are two Ryan Braun camps. Like I’ve said, I’ll be the first to jump from one to the other, but not until I’ve got enough proof to do so. We may never find out what’s really going on, but I’ll bet there are parts to this case, and many others that add nuance. And nuance is what’s lacking from fan posts on a blog. We don’t have inside information, and so any arguments we make tend to be too simplistic. Better to remember that and not end up in the land of hubris.

• townballblog - Sep 9, 2012 at 1:27 PM

There’s that possibility, paper lions, sure. However, at this point it is nothing more than just speculation – which I would argue there is no reason for – and as tempora said, I’m sure he is under more scrutiny than ever from MLB.

If I’m not mistaking, the reason his positive test was overruled was because his sample spent the night at the MLB tester’s home. If that is the case, then the probability that he is beating the system is JUST AS EQUAL as the probability that his sample was tampered with.

All that said, he is having a BETTER year than last year and he should be the MVP AGAIN!

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Yes, I think he was juicing last season. It just didn’t make him a better hitter. Also, I don’t care if he was juicing or is still juicing. As I’ve said before, they should allow such things at the players risk.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:28 PM

Sounds like a good news bad news scenario.

The good news:

We stop worrying about who’s doing what. All statistics stand. Enough controversy already.

The bad news:

“Yes, I think he was juicing last season. It just didn’t make him a better hitter.”

Not only have you just made a statement you can’t possibly prove, but the reading it is like reading the example given in the dictionary under “self-serving”.

And you might want to think through these ideas of yours. I, for one am okay with my baseball players bearing some resemblance to actual human beings…and not Rock’em Sock’em Robots.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:44 PM

“It becomes impossible to tell the difference between pro baseball…and pro wrestling.” What are you basing that statement on. Show me evidence that the use of steroids leads to significantly greater production. You know the sound you hear….crickets chirping because there is no evidence. Never has been and never will be.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 9, 2012 at 9:52 AM

While your ears listen to crickets, my eyes saw what baseball players looked and acted like in the recent past. Maybe you just enjoyed those Transformers named Mark, Sammy, Barry and Roger.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:24 AM

Anecdotal evidence should not be confused with actual evidence…you know of the scientific variety.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:13 AM

Gave you a thumbs up for this true statement. But I’m not confusing anything. If you’re not convinced that the gang of four I mentioned were some of the more obvious juicers that we all immediately think about when this subject comes up, so be it. Or is it that you’re trying really hard to remain firmly entrenched in your argument? It’s just my opinion. Two hopefully future hall of famers. Two very good players. Three jerks. Four guys who suddenly became immortal when most show more of their mortality. I don’t think I’m going very far out on the limb here, but I’ll concede that this is just my opinion.

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:46 AM

I’m impressed this discussion is still going on. Nobody is saying that those mentioned above weren’t taking steroids. They either admitted or have been strongly implicated in some type of PED usage. That is not my argument. My argument is that the correlation between PED usage and increased performance is sketchy at best. There are numerous other factors that could have just as easily, if not more easily, led to the offensive outburst of that era.

• temporarilyexiled - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:11 PM

I don’t know, but he’s either innocent, or an evil genius. I’ll assume the former…until I KNOW otherwise.

5. foodstamp69 - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM

who cares bout the phillies. this was an article bout last nites brewers cardinals game y da heck would u even bring da phils into this it there chances of makn da wild card r worse than the brewers

• drmonkeyarmy - Sep 8, 2012 at 12:48 PM

Sorry my content does not meet your approval. In the greater context of baseball, the article was about the Brewers chipping in to the WC lead. I used it to tangentially talk about the Phillies. If you want to discuss the Brewers/Cards be my guest. I won’t try to edit or control your content.

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3161)