Sep 8, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT
From Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer comes word that Reds shortstop Zack Cozart was diagnosed on Saturday afternoon with a “slight oblique strain” and has already been ruled out of the team’s entire weekend series with the Astros.
Cozart’s injury should be healed by early next week, but the Reds currently boast an 8 1/2-game lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central standings and will probably play it as safe as possible with their rookie shortstop.
Cozart, 27, has posted a .243/.285/.402 batting line with 15 home runs, 32 doubles and 32 RBI in 127 games played this season. Wilson Valdez is filling in at shortstop on Saturday night against Houston.
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 11
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 16
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 17
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)