Sep 8, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT
From Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer comes word that Reds shortstop Zack Cozart was diagnosed on Saturday afternoon with a “slight oblique strain” and has already been ruled out of the team’s entire weekend series with the Astros.
Cozart’s injury should be healed by early next week, but the Reds currently boast an 8 1/2-game lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central standings and will probably play it as safe as possible with their rookie shortstop.
Cozart, 27, has posted a .243/.285/.402 batting line with 15 home runs, 32 doubles and 32 RBI in 127 games played this season. Wilson Valdez is filling in at shortstop on Saturday night against Houston.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)