Sep 8, 2012, 7:03 PM EDT
From Tom Groeschen of the Cincinnati Enquirer comes word that Reds shortstop Zack Cozart was diagnosed on Saturday afternoon with a “slight oblique strain” and has already been ruled out of the team’s entire weekend series with the Astros.
Cozart’s injury should be healed by early next week, but the Reds currently boast an 8 1/2-game lead over the Cardinals in the NL Central standings and will probably play it as safe as possible with their rookie shortstop.
Cozart, 27, has posted a .243/.285/.402 batting line with 15 home runs, 32 doubles and 32 RBI in 127 games played this season. Wilson Valdez is filling in at shortstop on Saturday night against Houston.
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 4
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 20
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 7
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 5
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 33
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- HBT Daily: In which I waffle on my World Series pick 13
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day 80
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (116)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (111)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Must-click link: surviving spring training on $0 a day (80)