Sep 9, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
Here’s the basic summary, courtesy of MLB.com:
Manager Joe Girardi engaged in a brief shouting match with columnist Joel Sherman of the New York Post in the visiting clubhouse at Camden Yards, and the pair were separated by team personnel.
Girardi conducted his postgame press conference with reporters in a noisy hallway outside the clubhouse and was irked at having to answer repeated questions about CC Sabathia‘s health, saying at one point, “I’m not lying. One time is sufficient.”
The spat between Girardi and Sherman continued into the manager’s office, where players overheard the exchange before Sherman exited and the door slammed shut behind him.
ESPN’s Andrew Marchand adds that the two were nose-to-nose at one point in the manager’s office.
Girardi’s frustration stemmed primarily from a blown call at first base that ended the game and stripped the Yankees of what would have been the tying run. This is all sounds like heat-of-the-moment stuff — the kind of thing that can happen in any ultra-competitive environment — but it’s sure to feed a range of narratives in New York. “Has Girardi lost his cool?” “Are the Yankees already panicking?” “Is this a sinking ship?”
The Bombers enter play Sunday in a tie with the Orioles for first place in the American League East.
- Playoff Reset: Both AL Division Series Get Underway 29
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 21
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 52
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (83)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)