Sep 9, 2012, 9:37 AM EDT
Here’s the basic summary, courtesy of MLB.com:
Manager Joe Girardi engaged in a brief shouting match with columnist Joel Sherman of the New York Post in the visiting clubhouse at Camden Yards, and the pair were separated by team personnel.
Girardi conducted his postgame press conference with reporters in a noisy hallway outside the clubhouse and was irked at having to answer repeated questions about CC Sabathia‘s health, saying at one point, “I’m not lying. One time is sufficient.”
The spat between Girardi and Sherman continued into the manager’s office, where players overheard the exchange before Sherman exited and the door slammed shut behind him.
ESPN’s Andrew Marchand adds that the two were nose-to-nose at one point in the manager’s office.
Girardi’s frustration stemmed primarily from a blown call at first base that ended the game and stripped the Yankees of what would have been the tying run. This is all sounds like heat-of-the-moment stuff — the kind of thing that can happen in any ultra-competitive environment — but it’s sure to feed a range of narratives in New York. “Has Girardi lost his cool?” “Are the Yankees already panicking?” “Is this a sinking ship?”
The Bombers enter play Sunday in a tie with the Orioles for first place in the American League East.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:27 PM EDT
There can be only THREE!! True outcomes, that is.
Aug 29, 2014, 3:04 PM EDT
Which is the right thing to do.
Aug 29, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
Never mind that the dude has only been legally allowed inside a bar for about two years.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:53 PM EDT
The plot thickens. And becomes creamier. And is spread nicely between some two thin, chocolate cakes.
Aug 29, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
It’s a bit early for this, of course.
Aug 29, 2014, 12:26 PM EDT
Could one or both of them be gone before the 2015 season begins?
Aug 29, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Afterwards, the pitching machine talked about wanting to work on his offspeed stuff because all big league hitters can turn on a fastball.
Aug 29, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
An addendum to yesterday’s post.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
The AL it’s clear cut because there is a monster candidate. In the NL it’s because one guys is the least bad of many bad options.
Aug 29, 2014, 10:03 AM EDT
Commandment Number One of being a professional athlete: don’t let anyone know you’re not a fan of your team’s city.
Aug 29, 2014, 9:31 AM EDT
Which, in all likelihood, will be his last start for the Cardinals this year.
Aug 29, 2014, 8:47 AM EDT
A big housing unit for the Big Unit.
Aug 29, 2014, 7:35 AM EDT
And an ice cream sandwich — used for taunting purposes — was involved.
Aug 29, 2014, 6:58 AM EDT
Yet another protested game in a week full of protests. This one isn’t going anywhere, though.
Aug 28, 2014, 11:02 PM EDT
Herrera, who was acquired from the Pirates in the Marlon Byrd deal last August, was batting .340/.406/.560 with 10 homers and 48 RBI over 61 games in Double-A this season.
Aug 28, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Outman had a 3.28 ERA and 24/16 K/BB ratio over 24 2/3 innings with the Indians this season.
Aug 28, 2014, 9:42 PM EDT
Every time Alex Gordon steps to the plate at Kauffman Stadium these days, fans chant, “M-V-P, M-V-P,” which is fascinating on so many levels.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:57 PM EDT
Vic Black has emerged as an effective late-inning bridge for the Mets this season, but now he’s headed to the 15-day disabled list with a herniated disk in his neck.
Aug 28, 2014, 8:05 PM EDT
The expectation is that Castillo will get some major league experience in September.
Aug 28, 2014, 7:09 PM EDT
Gomes suffered the concussion last Thursday when he was hit in the catcher’s mask by a deflected ball.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 70
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 216
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (216)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)