Johnny Cueto makes it just four innings against Astros

Sep 9, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT

cueto getty Getty Images

R.A. Dickey is the NL’s new ERA leader.

Reds right-hander Johnny Cueto, who had been wearing the crown, was hammered for four earned runs on nine hits Sunday afternoon against the Astros before exiting after just four frames. He struck out six and issued only one walk, but the typically light-hitting Houston lineup took advantage of balls left up in the zone and the ‘Stros are now in a position to snag two of three from first-place Cincy.

Cueto’s ERA jumped from 2.58 to 2.71 and his WHIP rose from 1.15 to 1.17. He has a 155/42 K/BB ratio in 192 2/3 total innings.

Dickey’s ERA is 2.64 and his WHIP is 1.03. He has 195 strikeouts and 45 walks in 198 innings.

The National League Cy Young Award might just go to a knuckeballer this season.

1. bigleagues - Sep 9, 2012 at 4:29 PM

I guess they’ll be shutting him down for the year, right?

I mean, the Red’s would be fine without him. Just throw Tim Redmond in Cueto’s slot for the remainder of the season.

If I were Jocketty that’s what I’d do in order to protect him for the future. He’s only 26 and has already logged a career high in Innings Pitched, which is nearly a 20% increase over 2011′s workload . . . a campaign in which he experienced arm troubles.

I mean, I’m just saying. The Reds have the 2nd best record in the NL and could be contenders for the next 5 years or so . . . why risk the future for a chance at a World Series title this year?

I mean, how short-sighted is that thinking?

• bigleagues - Sep 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

I think my tongue got stuck in my cheek . . .

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2012 at 11:23 PM

Not good. It causes cancer.

2. chill1184 - Sep 9, 2012 at 5:11 PM

Unlike the Reds trolls who scream that Dickey is fading fast after a bad start I wont say the same about Cueto. He’ll bounce back, good pitchers can get rocked it happens.

• mrredlegz - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Touche`. I’ll admit that I thought Dickey was toast a couple weeks ago, but I was wrong. As far as Cueto goes, he is one of four Reds SPs not named Bronson Arroyo who has or will log a lot more innings this year than they ever have before…which should make any reasonable fan more than a little concerned heading into October.

Don’t get me wrong. I’d love to see Cueto finish the year with a couple of CG shutouts or something equally ridiculous, but if it means a dead arm come playoff time, I’ll pass. Besides, even I can admit that the Dickster’s story is much more compelling and ultimately, his numbers are just a little bit better than Cueto’s.

• Old Gator - Sep 9, 2012 at 11:25 PM

In addition to which, whereas Dickey is a remarkable and generous human being, Cueto is a thuggish, cowardly pig.

3. firemarshal1 - Sep 9, 2012 at 10:15 PM

Coach Baker,

Skip Johnny Cueto’s next schedule. Team should come first over personal goals.

4. mazblast - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:42 AM

Cueto may have just lost the Cy Young. Against a truly atrocious lineup, he flopped. But fear not, baseball fans; if Dickey wins the award, you can rest assured that there is nothing so constant as Reds fans p***ing and moaning whenever their imagined winner comes up short. They have a remarkable amount of paranoia, imagining their team’s importance in a world that actually doesn’t care (Mets fans, on the other hand, are correct in their paranoia; the world is in fact out to get them).

For the Astros, the good news is that Matt Dominguez found a team he can hit against. The bad news is that they’ll be in the other league next season.

Three legends off to Cooperstown