Sep 9, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Teixeira will undergo an MRI on the calf Monday and has already been ruled out for the Yankees’ entire three-game series with the Red Sox that begins on Tuesday night. If the exam reveals another strain, it’s possible that he will be done for the rest of the regular season.
Steven Pearce, a .237/.309/.375 career hitter in the major leagues, is starting at first base in Sunday afternoon’s series finale with Baltimore. The Yanks are currently tied with the O’s atop the AL East.
Teixeira, 32, is batting .255/.336/.478 with 23 home runs and 81 RBI in 509 plate appearances this season.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 77
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (78)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (73)