Sep 9, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Teixeira will undergo an MRI on the calf Monday and has already been ruled out for the Yankees’ entire three-game series with the Red Sox that begins on Tuesday night. If the exam reveals another strain, it’s possible that he will be done for the rest of the regular season.
Steven Pearce, a .237/.309/.375 career hitter in the major leagues, is starting at first base in Sunday afternoon’s series finale with Baltimore. The Yanks are currently tied with the O’s atop the AL East.
Teixeira, 32, is batting .255/.336/.478 with 23 home runs and 81 RBI in 509 plate appearances this season.
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 18
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 29
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 19
- Frank Torre: 1931-2014 6
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 46
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball 86
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use 92
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (86)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)