Sep 9, 2012, 12:51 PM EDT
According to Bryan Hoch of MLB.com, Teixeira will undergo an MRI on the calf Monday and has already been ruled out for the Yankees’ entire three-game series with the Red Sox that begins on Tuesday night. If the exam reveals another strain, it’s possible that he will be done for the rest of the regular season.
Steven Pearce, a .237/.309/.375 career hitter in the major leagues, is starting at first base in Sunday afternoon’s series finale with Baltimore. The Yanks are currently tied with the O’s atop the AL East.
Teixeira, 32, is batting .255/.336/.478 with 23 home runs and 81 RBI in 509 plate appearances this season.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)