Sep 9, 2012, 8:29 AM EDT
The Nationals keep winning in all sorts of ways.
On Saturday evening in D.C. it was Jayson Werth playing the role of hero with a game-tying solo home run in the bottom of the ninth inning following a rain delay of nearly three hours. Corey Brown then iced the victory in the 10th inning on a walkoff RBI single that scored Ian Desmond easily from third base.
Washington now boasts a record of 86-53 with a winning percentage of .619 that ranks first in MLB.
The Nats will try for their 87th victory on Sunday with right-hander Edwin Jackson on the bump vs. Miami.
They currently have a 6 1/2-game lead over the Braves in the National League East standings.
Your Saturday box scores and recaps:
Marlins 6, Nationals 7 (10 innings)
Rangers 4, Rays 2 (10 innings)
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 69
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 8
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 69
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 26
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (87)