Sep 10, 2012, 2:44 PM EDT
Oakland’s Triple-A affiliate in Sacramento was knocked out of the Pacific Coast League playoffs yesterday, so the A’s have recalled Jemile Weeks and Daric Barton as part of September roster expansion.
Weeks was demoted to Triple-A in mid-August after hitting just .220 in 113 games as the A’s starting second baseman. He batted .322 with an .834 OPS in 10 regular season games for Sacramento, but it’s unclear how much playing time he’ll get down the stretch with Cliff Pennington and Stephen Drew now serving as Oakland’s double-play duo.
Barton hit just .198 in 37 games for the A’s and has spent most of the season at Triple-A hitting .255 with a modest .425 slugging percentage in 74 games. He still has great on-base skills, with more walks (66) than strikeouts (53) and a .411 OBP, but Barton’s stock has plummeted in recent years and Chris Carter is now the A’s starting first baseman.
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 0
- Don Mattingly will still be the Dodgers’ manager on Friday 2
- Jake Westbrook feeling lingering discomfort in right elbow 3
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case 59
- Rafael Soriano took back all that stuff he said about Bryce Harper 12
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (117)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (110)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Albert Pujols doesn’t matter anymore (74)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (70)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games