Sep 10, 2012, 4:11 PM EDT
As expected Andrelton Simmons is off the disabled list and in the Braves’ lineup for tonight’s game after the rookie shortstop missed the past two months with a broken pinkie finger.
In his absence the Braves traded for Paul Janish from the Reds and turned to him as their primary shortstop. However, Janish hit just .188 in 53 games and there was never any doubt about Simmons immediately reclaiming the everyday job.
Prior to the July 8 injury Simmons hit .296 with three homers and a .788 OPS in 33 games while playing excellent defense at shortstop, so if healthy his return should provide a huge boost to the Braves down the stretch.
He went 8-for-25 with two homers on a brief minor league rehab assignment.
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 20
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 15
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 72
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 46
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48