Sep 10, 2012, 9:20 PM EDT
When Chris Carpenter underwent surgery in mid-July to alleviate symptoms of thoracic outlet syndrome, it was assumed that he would miss the rest of the season. However, it’s now realistic that he could play a critical role for the Cardinals down the stretch.
Carpenter threw around 70 pitches in a simulated game this afternoon in San Diego after which he told FOX Sports Midwest that he feels “absolutely” ready to make a start. While he’s chomping at the bit to get back out there, Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that he’s scheduled to throw another simulated game on Saturday where he’ll get stretched out to 90 pitches.
Carpenter is ramping things up at a convenient time for the Cardinals, as Jake Westbrook suffered an oblique strain Saturday and is expected to miss at least one start. Lance Lynn will return from the bullpen to start Thursday against the Dodgers, but Carpenter should be an option after that.
Carpenter, 37, hasn’t thrown a pitch in the majors this season after logging 273 innings between the regular season and playoffs last year.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly right knee injury 2
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 11
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 23
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (126)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)