Sep 10, 2012, 11:32 AM EST
Randomly surfing around the Washington sports pages, I see that Washington Redskins’ center Nick Sundberg broke his arm — clean freaking break of his left arm — yet still played in the Redskins-Saints game yesterday, doing 11 long snaps and blocking all day despite the break.
Contrast this with the Strasburg shutdown over fear of an injury.
No, I’m not THAT dumb. I realize a pitcher’s arm is a lot more critical to his job than a lineman’s forearm is. But it definitely reminds us about the fungible nature of offensive lineman compared to that of your average baseball player. Let alone your superstar baseball player.
Maybe it’s more about the football player’s toughness. But I steeled on “fungibility” because I wonder what inspires a player to play through a broken arm and a team to allow him to do so, and while toughness is a possibility, I wonder if fear of losing one’s job has a lot to do with it too. It’s that sort of thing that makes the consequences of what goes on on a football field that much more real and dire in my mind, and I can’t not think about it when I’m watching football. Which takes a lot of the enjoyment out of it for me, frankly, and is a large part of why I really don’t watch it anymore.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)