Sep 10, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny just announced that Berkman will undergo season-ending surgery on his knee tomorrow. It would be a darn shame to see him go out this way, but he has already hinted at retiring after this season.
10:15 AM: Lance Berkman‘s status for the remainder of the season is now in doubt, as Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Cardinals first baseman left the team and traveled to his home in Houston to have his surgically repaired right knee examined by the doctor who performed the operation in May.
Langosch writes that “shutting him down for the season” is a possibility because Berkman has been limited to just six total plate appearances since returning from a disabled list stint for inflammation in his knee five weeks ago.
Berkman has previously indicated that he’s leaning toward retirement after the season, so if the 36-year-old doesn’t get a good diagnosis from the doctor this could be the end of the line for the one of the best and most underrated hitters of this era.
- Triples Machine: After a decade in the minors Royals rookie Paulo Orlando is demolishing triples records 5
- What Bryan Price’s rant was really all about 49
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 23
- Report: Cubs calling up prospect infielder Addison Russell 30
- Jonathan Lucroy headed to disabled list with broken toe 9
- Reds manager Bryan Price goes on profanity-laden tirade against media 69
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 75
- Report: Marlins manager Mike Redmond is on the hot seat 41
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (129)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (111)