Sep 10, 2012, 7:32 PM EST
UPDATE: According to B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny just announced that Berkman will undergo season-ending surgery on his knee tomorrow. It would be a darn shame to see him go out this way, but he has already hinted at retiring after this season.
10:15 AM: Lance Berkman‘s status for the remainder of the season is now in doubt, as Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Cardinals first baseman left the team and traveled to his home in Houston to have his surgically repaired right knee examined by the doctor who performed the operation in May.
Langosch writes that “shutting him down for the season” is a possibility because Berkman has been limited to just six total plate appearances since returning from a disabled list stint for inflammation in his knee five weeks ago.
Berkman has previously indicated that he’s leaning toward retirement after the season, so if the 36-year-old doesn’t get a good diagnosis from the doctor this could be the end of the line for the one of the best and most underrated hitters of this era.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)