End of the line? Lance Berkman to undergo season-ending knee surgery Tuesday

Sep 10, 2012, 7:32 PM EDT

berkman ap AP

UPDATE: According to B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest, Cardinals manager Mike Matheny just announced that Berkman will undergo season-ending surgery on his knee tomorrow. It would be a darn shame to see him go out this way, but he has already hinted at retiring after this season.

10:15 AM: Lance Berkman‘s status for the remainder of the season is now in doubt, as Jenifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that the Cardinals first baseman left the team and traveled to his home in Houston to have his surgically repaired right knee examined by the doctor who performed the operation in May.

Langosch writes that “shutting him down for the season” is a possibility because Berkman has been limited to just six total plate appearances since returning from a disabled list stint for inflammation in his knee five weeks ago.

Berkman has previously indicated that he’s leaning toward retirement after the season, so if the 36-year-old doesn’t get a good diagnosis from the doctor this could be the end of the line for the one of the best and most underrated hitters of this era.

1. drunkenhooliganism - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:28 AM

I played fantasy baseball last year and he was on my team, I named the team “The Fat Elvis Dance Party”

I hope he can retire on his own terms.

2. stlouis1baseball - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:17 AM

This is to bad really. I was hoping he would get a chance to call it good when he saw fit.
    If this is it…thanks Lance. You had a great ride and topped it off with a World Series title.

• stex52 - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Pretty much what you said, SLB. Sounds like he will go back to Rice to finish his degree and be an assistant coach on the baseball team. I am sorry he didn’t last enough longer to have a solid shot at the HOF, but MLB’s loss is Houston’s gain.

Welcome home, Lance.

3. bigleagues - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:39 AM

. . . and early in the season people scoffed when I emphatically stated that Allen Craig need to start and Berkman was no guarantee to make it through the season.

• natslady - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:55 PM

No one cares about your “I told you so’s.” Really.

• bigleagues - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:46 AM

natslady . . .

And to think, completely unprompted, I complimented you the other day. AND, I spent 20 minutes last month, typing out html tag how-to info at your request (when you could have done it yourself) and this is the kind of unprovoked aggressive response I get from you?

SHAME.

Then again, maybe the reality of the Strasburg shutdown has got you a little on edge. Just remember, anything can happen. Granted, some things are more likely than not to happen, but anything can happen. Perhaps you have a huge “i told you so” on the horizon.

Although, you kinda just lost your license to use it.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3692)