Sep 10, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Jets won. The Yankees, though not without their problems, managed a split and remain in first place. Not enough muck to rake this morning, apparently, so Raissman of the Daily News goes after YES Network for not interviewing Cal Ripken:
According to an MLB source Ripken’s PR man John Maroon e-mailed media outlets in Baltimore and New York informing them Ripken would be available during the game. WCBS-AM, the Yankees’ radio flagship, requested an interview.
“For whatever reason,” the source said. “YES had no interest in talking to Cal.”
The “reason” really doesn’t matter. Any would only be a lame excuse. Like a dog swallowed YES’ extra mike and it didn’t have one for Ripken. Or maybe on a night where the Yankees were battling the O’s for first place in the AL East, YES honchos didn’t want the ultimate symbol of Orioles baseball in their broadcast booth.
Or maybe, just maybe, they decided that, like most ex-athletes, Ripken didn’t have anything particularly interesting to say. Or maybe YES decided to keep its focus on a September baseball game between two teams in pitched battle for the division title.
I realize that Cal Ripken is an immortal and all of that, but he’s not exactly hard to find or unavailable for interviews. I’m struggling to see how YES not taking up a PR man’s pitch for an interview with the guy is some sort of media faux pas.
And that’s the case even though it was the night of his statue unveiling at Camden Yards. I mean, how many opposing team broadcasts interviewed Yankees legends on nights their plaques were unveiled in Monument Park?
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)