Sep 10, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Jets won. The Yankees, though not without their problems, managed a split and remain in first place. Not enough muck to rake this morning, apparently, so Raissman of the Daily News goes after YES Network for not interviewing Cal Ripken:
According to an MLB source Ripken’s PR man John Maroon e-mailed media outlets in Baltimore and New York informing them Ripken would be available during the game. WCBS-AM, the Yankees’ radio flagship, requested an interview.
“For whatever reason,” the source said. “YES had no interest in talking to Cal.”
The “reason” really doesn’t matter. Any would only be a lame excuse. Like a dog swallowed YES’ extra mike and it didn’t have one for Ripken. Or maybe on a night where the Yankees were battling the O’s for first place in the AL East, YES honchos didn’t want the ultimate symbol of Orioles baseball in their broadcast booth.
Or maybe, just maybe, they decided that, like most ex-athletes, Ripken didn’t have anything particularly interesting to say. Or maybe YES decided to keep its focus on a September baseball game between two teams in pitched battle for the division title.
I realize that Cal Ripken is an immortal and all of that, but he’s not exactly hard to find or unavailable for interviews. I’m struggling to see how YES not taking up a PR man’s pitch for an interview with the guy is some sort of media faux pas.
And that’s the case even though it was the night of his statue unveiling at Camden Yards. I mean, how many opposing team broadcasts interviewed Yankees legends on nights their plaques were unveiled in Monument Park?
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (260)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)