Sep 10, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Jets won. The Yankees, though not without their problems, managed a split and remain in first place. Not enough muck to rake this morning, apparently, so Raissman of the Daily News goes after YES Network for not interviewing Cal Ripken:
According to an MLB source Ripken’s PR man John Maroon e-mailed media outlets in Baltimore and New York informing them Ripken would be available during the game. WCBS-AM, the Yankees’ radio flagship, requested an interview.
“For whatever reason,” the source said. “YES had no interest in talking to Cal.”
The “reason” really doesn’t matter. Any would only be a lame excuse. Like a dog swallowed YES’ extra mike and it didn’t have one for Ripken. Or maybe on a night where the Yankees were battling the O’s for first place in the AL East, YES honchos didn’t want the ultimate symbol of Orioles baseball in their broadcast booth.
Or maybe, just maybe, they decided that, like most ex-athletes, Ripken didn’t have anything particularly interesting to say. Or maybe YES decided to keep its focus on a September baseball game between two teams in pitched battle for the division title.
I realize that Cal Ripken is an immortal and all of that, but he’s not exactly hard to find or unavailable for interviews. I’m struggling to see how YES not taking up a PR man’s pitch for an interview with the guy is some sort of media faux pas.
And that’s the case even though it was the night of his statue unveiling at Camden Yards. I mean, how many opposing team broadcasts interviewed Yankees legends on nights their plaques were unveiled in Monument Park?
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 19
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 25
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 136
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (136)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)