Sep 10, 2012, 8:53 AM EDT
Jets won. The Yankees, though not without their problems, managed a split and remain in first place. Not enough muck to rake this morning, apparently, so Raissman of the Daily News goes after YES Network for not interviewing Cal Ripken:
According to an MLB source Ripken’s PR man John Maroon e-mailed media outlets in Baltimore and New York informing them Ripken would be available during the game. WCBS-AM, the Yankees’ radio flagship, requested an interview.
“For whatever reason,” the source said. “YES had no interest in talking to Cal.”
The “reason” really doesn’t matter. Any would only be a lame excuse. Like a dog swallowed YES’ extra mike and it didn’t have one for Ripken. Or maybe on a night where the Yankees were battling the O’s for first place in the AL East, YES honchos didn’t want the ultimate symbol of Orioles baseball in their broadcast booth.
Or maybe, just maybe, they decided that, like most ex-athletes, Ripken didn’t have anything particularly interesting to say. Or maybe YES decided to keep its focus on a September baseball game between two teams in pitched battle for the division title.
I realize that Cal Ripken is an immortal and all of that, but he’s not exactly hard to find or unavailable for interviews. I’m struggling to see how YES not taking up a PR man’s pitch for an interview with the guy is some sort of media faux pas.
And that’s the case even though it was the night of his statue unveiling at Camden Yards. I mean, how many opposing team broadcasts interviewed Yankees legends on nights their plaques were unveiled in Monument Park?
- REPORT: The Astros to name A.J. Hinch their new manager today 15
- Twins fire manager Ron Gardenhire 33
- Pouliot’s 2014 American League awards picks 15
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs 79
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 83
- Reds beat Pirates behind Johnny Cueto, hand National League Central title to St. Louis 20
- Video: Steven Souza Jr. makes sensational catch to secure Jordan Zimmermann’s no-no 24
- David Price dominates Twins as Tigers win AL Central 30
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Derek Jeter’s final game in Yankee Stadium could be cancelled because of rain (85)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (84)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (79)
- Bud Selig says A-Rod will “have a clean slate” once his suspension is over (78)