Sep 10, 2012, 11:40 PM EST
Since sweeping the White Sox from Aug. 31-Sept. 2, the Tigers have been tamed at the plate:
Sept. 3: Lost 2-3 vs. Clev
Sept. 4: Lost 2-3 vs. Clev
Sept. 5: Won 7-1 vs. Clev
Sept. 7: Lost 2-3 at LAA
Sept. 8: Lost 1-6 at LAA
Sept. 9: Lost 2-3 at LAA
Sept. 10: Lost 1-6 at CWS
That’s 17 runs in seven games. And even before the three-game sweep of the White Sox, they were swept by the Royals in a series that included a 1-0 loss to Bruce Chen and a 2-1 loss to Jeremy Guthrie.
The Tigers are badly in need of someone besides Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder to step it up. Delmon Young‘s big weekend against the White Sox was apparently just that. The Tigers need at least two from the group of Andy Dirks, Jhonny Peralta, Brennan Boesch and Alex Avila to provide some consistent production in the bottom half of the order.
Of course, the Tigers have three more games against the White Sox this week, giving them the chance to quickly erase that three-game AL Central lead. However, the fact that they couldn’t get anything going against a fading Jose Quintana tonight doesn’t bode well for their chances.
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 26
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 75
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran 120
- Mike Napoli agrees to two-year, $32 million deal with Red Sox 36
- Curtis Granderson leaves Yankees for Mets (and $60 million) 68
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (120)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (102)