Sep 10, 2012, 11:40 PM EDT
Since sweeping the White Sox from Aug. 31-Sept. 2, the Tigers have been tamed at the plate:
Sept. 3: Lost 2-3 vs. Clev
Sept. 4: Lost 2-3 vs. Clev
Sept. 5: Won 7-1 vs. Clev
Sept. 7: Lost 2-3 at LAA
Sept. 8: Lost 1-6 at LAA
Sept. 9: Lost 2-3 at LAA
Sept. 10: Lost 1-6 at CWS
That’s 17 runs in seven games. And even before the three-game sweep of the White Sox, they were swept by the Royals in a series that included a 1-0 loss to Bruce Chen and a 2-1 loss to Jeremy Guthrie.
The Tigers are badly in need of someone besides Miguel Cabrera and Prince Fielder to step it up. Delmon Young‘s big weekend against the White Sox was apparently just that. The Tigers need at least two from the group of Andy Dirks, Jhonny Peralta, Brennan Boesch and Alex Avila to provide some consistent production in the bottom half of the order.
Of course, the Tigers have three more games against the White Sox this week, giving them the chance to quickly erase that three-game AL Central lead. However, the fact that they couldn’t get anything going against a fading Jose Quintana tonight doesn’t bode well for their chances.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 22
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (219)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (95)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (85)