Sep 10, 2012, 12:16 PM EDT
There’s been some speculation that Stephen Strasburg‘s agent, Scott Boras, played a part in the Nationals’ decision to shut the 24-year-old right-hander down for the season with 28 starts and 159.1 innings.
However, while Boras agrees with the Nationals’ call he told Jerry Crasnick of ESPN.com that he wasn’t involved in the decision-making process:
Before players are under contract, I have a matter of control. I’ll ask a team, “How much is he going to pitch? What’s your plan for him?” That type of thing. But once he’s under contract, I don’t say a word.
Do you think Mike Rizzo’s personality is attuned to having someone call him and tell him what to do with his particular team? Come on. Certainly, I try to give teams insights and information. But when you’re not there every day, how can you make these calls? It’s not my place or anybody’s place unless you’re there. A manager has a job. A general manager has a job, and that’s what they should do. They make these decisions. I don’t.
That’s refreshing to hear, even if you ultimately disagree with the Nationals shutting down Strasburg.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 77
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 51
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- Clayton Kershaw blanks the Angels over eight innings, runs consecutive scoreless innings streak to 37 20
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)