The Phillies call up Darin “Babe” Ruf

Sep 10, 2012, 9:13 AM EDT

Darin Ruf

Not gonna lie, I’m only posting this for two reasons:

(1) Because, unbeknownst to me before now, people are calling this guy “Babe Ruf,” which is awesome; and

(2) Halladay’s Bicepts was whining on Twitter that I wouldn’t mention it because of this site’s apparently obvious and longstanding eschewing of Phillies news. Or something.

Anyway: the Phillies have called up Darin Ruf, who wowed the Eastern League this year by smacking 38 homers at Reading while posting a line of .317/.408/.620.

Now, why I wouldn’t normally post this but for the nickname and the taunting?  He’s 26 and he’s playing in Double-A, for starters, and that’s really old for that league.  And because he has no defensive credentials or, with the Phillies anyway, much of a future.

Indeed, he has played mostly first base in the minors, and since Ryan Howard isn’t going anyplace, he won’t be playing first in Philly. If he had left field chops the Phillies would have made sure he was playing a lot more of it to prepare him for the big club. That they didn’t means that he is either unsafe at any speed out there or else the Phillies really don’t see him as part of their future.

My guess for the best case scenario: he showcases his one skill — mashing taters — by smacking a bunch of homers against expanded roster bullpens and then Philly tries to deal him to a team that has a place for a 1B/DH in his late 20s with almost zero major league experience. The Royals would have bit at that once but they don’t really need it anymore. But someone will at some point, so he’s worth the audition. Maybe you get a bullpen arm out of him or something.

Or, heck, they could do the sensible thing and platoon him with Howard, but that would probably make everyone on the planet kinda mad.

1. drmonkeyarmy - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:22 AM

Charlie said he might start him in LF tonight. Well, either him or Ty Wiggington.

2. illcomm - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Pat the Bat 2.0.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

Zactly

• scatterbrian - Sep 10, 2012 at 2:46 PM

Totally! Well, except for the fact that Burrell put up slightly better numbers in AA when he was three years younger, and was a full time player in the majors at 23.

3. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:30 AM

“If he had left field chops the Phillies would have made sure he was playing a lot more of it to prepare him for the big club.”

I wouldn’t be so sure about that. Howard is 32, and has seen some injuries. I think they kept Ruf at first as insurance.

If he smacks a few long balls in this call up, loook to see him playing a ton of Left come Spring Traing. From tehre, we shall see.

4. bigleagues - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:31 AM

1) Lest the more impressionable believe Craig’s statement – 26 is not really old for AA. It is on the older side of what you’d expect to see there, but for a variety of reasons 25-27 year-olds do play at AA each year. The caveat is, because of their age and experience they are not typically considered prospects – regardless of performance.

2) Can this guy be any worse than a 26-yar-old David Ortiz at 1B? I suppose he could, but since the Sox have a vacancy over there – perhaps Boston would have an interest in the portly Babe Ruf playing 1B for them next season. ;-)

• Old Gator - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:44 AM

Yeah, for the Beanbags it would be a kinda extenuated “what goes around comes around” scenario. That, plus any modern now-a-go-go mantra chanting forest sage or Denver-based former Tibetan lama will happily tell you that there’s no way to predict where a transmigrating monad has settled in its latest incarnation. Who knows?

• bigleagues - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:02 AM

This much I know . . . having Babe Ruf would be a great marketing hook for the bark-in-the-park crowd:

DOG OWNER: Fido, who’s at Firstbase tonight?

FIDO: Ruf!

DOG OWNER: Good boy, Fido.

. . . and, if the Red Sox don’t have an epic Winter in terms of transactions and acquisitions, they may have to resort to some of those tried and true minor league gimmicks to keep the Fens lookin’ full.

Unfortunately, Buddhism actually eschews ‘reincarnation’ as most religions believe it . . .

“There are physical karmas. They are reactions and results from actions. But those are bound to a particular lifetime.”

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:12 AM

DOG OWNER: Fido, who’s at Firstbase tonight?

FIDO: Ruf!

DOG OWNER: Good boy, Fido.

Well done fine Sir. Well done. Golf clap….

• Joe - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:52 PM

1st man: “Hey, Buddy, I got something here you gotta see. I gotta talking dog here.”

2nd man: “That dog can’t talk!”

1M: “Sure he can! I’ll prove it to ya! You gotta buck?”

2M: “Yeah.”

1M: “Well I’ll prove it to ya then! Give me a buck and I’ll have the dog talk for you.”

2M: “I’m not giving you any money!”

1M: “Hey, don’t worry about it, buddy! If the dog don’t talk, I’ll give you your dollar back.”

2M: (Pulls a dollar bill out of his wallet) “Well, OK then. This better be good!”

1M: “Oh, it’ll be good all right. You’ll see! Hey, Spot! What’s the opposite of smooth?”

Spot: “Ruff!”

2M: “What is this, some kinda joke?”

1M: “No, the dog is talking. Hey, Spot! What’s on top of a house?”

Spot “Roof!”

2M: “This is a ripoff. Give me my dollar back!”

1M: “No, it’s real! Give me one more chance. You’ll see!”

2M: “OK then – just one more!”

1M: “All right! You won’t be disappointed! Hey Spot! Who was the greatest baseball player of all time?”

Spot: “Ruth!”

2M: (grabs back dollar bill) “I’ll be taking my money back. Good day, sir!”

1M: “Oh, c’mon buddy! The dog is talking! Aww, jeez!”

(pause)

Spot: “DiMaggio?”

5. rjmarrella - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:40 AM

As a fan of the Phil’s, I love that you are a hater of our team. You do it with intelligent zeal.

6. delawarephilliesfan - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:46 AM

“Darin Ruf, who wowed the Eastern League this year by smacking 38 homers at Redding”

Hey Craig, next time I am up that way, I well send you and Otis Redding a postcard from Reading PA.

Along with Roger “Clements”, bad morning so far on the typo front. Who do you think you are – me?

7. heyblueyoustink - Sep 10, 2012 at 9:56 AM

Redding? Like Otis? Or Reading, like the town?

• kopy - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:22 PM

Redding like Ellis Boyd.

8. cur68 - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:26 AM

Astros should be all over this kid. They need some magic and they need a DH for next season. With that handle and that bat the kid’s both.

9. Jeremiah Graves - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:38 AM

Astros need a DH next season right?!

• ame123 - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

How does Ruf and Cloyd sound for Jonathan Singleton?

• Jeremy Fox - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:31 AM

Can’t hurt to ask, right?

10. Gonzo - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Does Craig really have a disdain for the Phillies? Or do Philly fans love to complain about anything and everything? Besides the fact that he is a Braves fan, I do not see any hatred in his posts.

• ame123 - Sep 10, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Craig and the rest of the HBT crew love to rile up Phils fans because lets face, half their traffic comes from Philly.

• delawarephilliesfan - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:20 PM

Deep down, in places Craig doesn’t talk about at parties, he wants us to complain. He needs us to complain!

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 10, 2012 at 11:14 AM

“Does Craig really have a disdain for the Phillies?”
      Why yes…yes he does.
      “Or do Philly fans love to complain about anything and everything?”
      Why yes…yes they do.

11. hushbrother - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:19 PM

I know a girl with the same last name and it’s pronounced “rough,” not “roof.” So the nickname doesn’t quite work.

• Joe - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Joe Theisman’s name was pronounced “Theeseman” until he was in the running for the Heisman Trophy. Sometimes you make the change for marketing purposes.

12. kingjoe1 - Sep 10, 2012 at 12:40 PM

Wow! A real man here. So you are offended by dopey Phillies fans and you attack a guy who has a dream and sticks to it. He may have one shot at playing at a major league level and you are so insenstive that you must take out your anger on him. Grow up!

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 10, 2012 at 1:49 PM

The joke
      your head

• kingjoe1 - Sep 10, 2012 at 6:40 PM

COPO- Why do people forget sports figures are actual people, jealously?

I hope Michael Vick babysits your dog.

13. schmedley69 - Sep 10, 2012 at 8:08 PM

The Phillies have been playing him in LF, and they plan to send him to winter ball to play their as well. The Phillies only 2 championships have come with Greg Luzinski and Pat Burrell in LF, so they have proven that they can win with plodders out there.

When home-field advantage isn't so
  1. T. Lincecum (3161)