Sep 10, 2012, 12:31 PM EST
The Astros are moving to the AL. Why not the Cardinals?
[Cardinals team President Bill] DeWitt said the Cardinals, unlike the Astros, likely would have rejected $50 million to $60 million to move to the American League in 2013, partly because “I hate the designated hitter rule. My dad does, too.”
I’d like to think that such principle — and not the fact that, since the Cardinals are one of the old line NL teams going back over a century making baseball never consider it — is the real reason they wouldn’t do it. Shut up. I’m sure you choose to believe silly things too.
Anyway, that quote was just an excuse to link a fun post from RetroSimba, who attended the Cardinals invitation-only blogger event yesterday, where DeWitt and GM John Mozeliak answered questions of, well, bloggers. Included were their comments about wanting to reach out via social media more, bypassing some more traditional communications means. Such a dynamic is one we’ve been talking about here for a long time and I think, more than even the economics of print media, will cause the normal baseball reporting biz to change.
There are a lot of other good things there too, more candid and unguarded comments than you typically see from team brass, so I recommend a click.
- Report: Cuban infielder Hector Olivera could have damaged ulnar collateral ligament 1
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 12
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 10
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 142
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 372
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (372)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (142)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)