Sep 10, 2012, 12:31 PM EST
The Astros are moving to the AL. Why not the Cardinals?
[Cardinals team President Bill] DeWitt said the Cardinals, unlike the Astros, likely would have rejected $50 million to $60 million to move to the American League in 2013, partly because “I hate the designated hitter rule. My dad does, too.”
I’d like to think that such principle — and not the fact that, since the Cardinals are one of the old line NL teams going back over a century making baseball never consider it — is the real reason they wouldn’t do it. Shut up. I’m sure you choose to believe silly things too.
Anyway, that quote was just an excuse to link a fun post from RetroSimba, who attended the Cardinals invitation-only blogger event yesterday, where DeWitt and GM John Mozeliak answered questions of, well, bloggers. Included were their comments about wanting to reach out via social media more, bypassing some more traditional communications means. Such a dynamic is one we’ve been talking about here for a long time and I think, more than even the economics of print media, will cause the normal baseball reporting biz to change.
There are a lot of other good things there too, more candid and unguarded comments than you typically see from team brass, so I recommend a click.
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 27
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 30
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 94
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 35
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)