Sep 11, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
Rizzo completely lost control, first jamming his knee on the first base bag and then landing hard on his head and shoulder several feet away after tumbling through the air. He stayed on the ground for several minutes before walking carefully back to the visitors dugout with trainers clutching his arms for balance.
MLB.com has video of the entire frightening scene.
The 23-year-old looked dazed and hobbled, and will presumably be sidelined for an extended period of time.
Rizzo is batting .293/.346/.464 with 12 home runs and 34 RBI in 69 games since his promotion to the majors.
UPDATE, 10:14 PM ET: According to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, Rizzo has some soreness in his neck and right shoulder but suffered no serious injuries. He could return on Friday.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 10
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 221
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 53
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (221)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)