Sep 11, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
Rizzo completely lost control, first jamming his knee on the first base bag and then landing hard on his head and shoulder several feet away after tumbling through the air. He stayed on the ground for several minutes before walking carefully back to the visitors dugout with trainers clutching his arms for balance.
MLB.com has video of the entire frightening scene.
The 23-year-old looked dazed and hobbled, and will presumably be sidelined for an extended period of time.
Rizzo is batting .293/.346/.464 with 12 home runs and 34 RBI in 69 games since his promotion to the majors.
UPDATE, 10:14 PM ET: According to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, Rizzo has some soreness in his neck and right shoulder but suffered no serious injuries. He could return on Friday.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 8
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 13
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 81
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (81)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)