Sep 11, 2012, 10:12 PM EST
Rizzo completely lost control, first jamming his knee on the first base bag and then landing hard on his head and shoulder several feet away after tumbling through the air. He stayed on the ground for several minutes before walking carefully back to the visitors dugout with trainers clutching his arms for balance.
MLB.com has video of the entire frightening scene.
The 23-year-old looked dazed and hobbled, and will presumably be sidelined for an extended period of time.
Rizzo is batting .293/.346/.464 with 12 home runs and 34 RBI in 69 games since his promotion to the majors.
UPDATE, 10:14 PM ET: According to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, Rizzo has some soreness in his neck and right shoulder but suffered no serious injuries. He could return on Friday.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)