Sep 11, 2012, 10:12 PM EDT
Rizzo completely lost control, first jamming his knee on the first base bag and then landing hard on his head and shoulder several feet away after tumbling through the air. He stayed on the ground for several minutes before walking carefully back to the visitors dugout with trainers clutching his arms for balance.
MLB.com has video of the entire frightening scene.
The 23-year-old looked dazed and hobbled, and will presumably be sidelined for an extended period of time.
Rizzo is batting .293/.346/.464 with 12 home runs and 34 RBI in 69 games since his promotion to the majors.
UPDATE, 10:14 PM ET: According to Gordon Wittenmyer of the Chicago Sun-Times, Rizzo has some soreness in his neck and right shoulder but suffered no serious injuries. He could return on Friday.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 28
- Zack Wheeler goes six scoreless innings in MLB debut 12
- The San Jose lawsuit against Major League Baseball should be thrown out of court 40
- San Jose sues Major League Baseball, challenging its monopoly power 26
- Original Biogenesis source: “the people running Major League Baseball are the biggest scumbags on Earth” 41
- MLB hands down the suspensions for Tuesday night’s Dodgers-Diamondbacks melee (111)
- Neil deGrasse Tyson explains why beanball wars are stupid (104)
- Democrats beat the Republicans 22-0 in the Congressional Baseball Game (98)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (88)
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut