Astros have started interviewing manager candidates

Sep 11, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT

Tony DeFrancesco AP AP

Astros owner Jim Crane took a break from answering Roger Clemens-related questions long enough to say that the team has narrowed down its list of managerial candidates and will interview 6-8 of them this week.

So far interim manager Tony DeFrancesco is the only known candidate, as both Crane and general manager Jeff Luhnow declined to reveal any other names. DeFrancesco is 5-15 since taking over for Brad Mills, who was fired after going 171-274 (.384) in two-plus seasons on the job.

And what are they looking for in a manager? Previous experience managing in the majors is not a prerequisite and according to Brian McTaggart of MLB.com “the Astros want a manager who’s capable of taking the analytical information from the front office and then utilizing it to make better decisions on the field, as well as one who’s adept at working with young players.”

1. danielcp0303 - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:29 AM

Alright, I guess I’ll do it

• okwhitefalcon - Sep 11, 2012 at 5:53 PM

Every blogger for Baseball Prospectus has formally applied and will be granted a formal interview.

2. stex52 - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:32 AM

Let me supply a translation:

” We have no idea who we want. Someone who doesn’t mind seeing his reputation trashed by a multi-year, possibly successful rebuild. And no, Tony, it’s not you.”

My services are free at any time.

3. pisano - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:55 AM

Check with Bobby V. he’ll be looking for a job soon.

4. hermitfool - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Speaking of former BlowSox managers, I wonder if John McNamara is available?

5. gerryb323 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:33 PM

I hear Peter Brand would like to try his hand at managing.

6. kander013 - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:33 PM

“a manager who’s capable of taking the analytical information from the front office and then utilizing it to make better decisions on the field, as well as one who’s adept at working with young players.”

AKA not Scott Ullger? Damn it. Take him.

7. WhenMattStairsIsKing - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:13 PM

I’d love to see Bagwell or Biggio give it a shot. Maybe even Berkman if he retires. Local guys, great history, intelligent baseball minds managing an Astros team that no one expects anything of for the next 3-4 years.

• stex52 - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:21 PM

My thoughts here:

1. Biggio is coaching a local Catholic school baseball team and seems happy with it. His son is there. Not sure if he is interested in the big time stuff.
      2. Bagwell is having far too much fun and doesn’t want to work that hard. Don’t press me for details, but he surfaces periodically in the local papers.
      3. Berkman seems bent right now on finishing his degree from Rice and assisting with their ball team. As a fellow Rice grad, I actively encourage that interest. I actually kind of think he would rather be a head coach there. Money is certainly not an issue.

I like all three guys. Not sure any of the three are the fit that Luhnow is talking about.

8. blabidibla - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:51 PM

Let Clemens do it. Then he can throw bats from the dugout.

Three legends off to Cooperstown