Brandon McCarthy discharged from hospital, joking about threesomes, still great at Twitter

Sep 11, 2012, 3:45 PM EDT

I guess the big news here is that Brandon McCarthy has apparently been discharged from the hospital six days after being hit in the head by a line drive, but the secondary story is that he continues to be fantastic at Twitter:

And, of course, his wife’s response:

And here I thought this morning’s tweet was good.

1. illcomm - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

its great that they can joke about the issue.

2. ajcardsfan - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

I hope there’s a follow up from Brandon saying, “So you’re saying there’s a chance?”

3. indaburg - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:59 PM

That’s the kind of marriage I aspire to have. Not the threesome part. The joking part.

I’m concerned–has his traumatic brain injury turned him into the kind of person that uses the cap-lock for all his communication?

• butchhuskey - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:56 PM

Who says you can’t aspire to both? ;)

• indaburg - Sep 11, 2012 at 6:06 PM

Is that you, Paul?

4. dannythebisforbeast - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:15 PM

wonder how her sister looks?

5. Gobias Industries - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:23 PM

I’m glad he’s okay and all, but does making a lame threesome joke really make you “great at Twitter”?

• indaburg - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:48 PM

You like Arrested Development, yet you lack a sense of humor? I’m confused.

• Gobias Industries - Sep 11, 2012 at 5:28 PM

What’s Arrested Development?

• kevinbnyc - Sep 11, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Okay, you know what you do? You buy yourself a tape recorder, you just record yourself for a whole day. I think you’re going to be surprised at some of your phrasing.

• Bryz - Sep 11, 2012 at 7:02 PM

You blowhard.

• kevinbnyc - Sep 12, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Judging by all the thumbs-down, you obviously prematurely shot your wad on what was supposed to be a dry run.

6. cur68 - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:43 PM

His next facebook update will read: “Shot down, but ever hopeful, the recently concussed, brain injured McCarthy continues to focus on what life/wife can do for him, not what it can do TO him”.

7. deafrecon - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:44 PM

a caps lock menage a trois request is to be expected after being clocked in the dome. this is caused by a swelling in the brain’s southern hemisphere.

8. APBA Guy - Sep 11, 2012 at 5:14 PM

I’m amazed he’s out already. Great news, here’s hoping for a continued problem-free and speedy full recovery.

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2012 at 5:42 PM

Yeah, back in the day you’d have been kept in for weeks. Kept until my colleagues in phrenology were sure (or you’d died of nosocomial infection) that you were out of the woods. These days, once your BP is being managed well, symptoms are subsiding and no evident infection is found: home with you. You’ll sleep better, recover faster, and be less stressed. All that and the nosocomial infection thing goes away, too. I imagine he gets to keep peeing in a bucket by the bed, though. Who’d want to give that up?

9. Lukehart80 - Sep 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM

McCarthy is far and away my favorite athlete to follow on Twitter. As others have said, it’s great that he’s in good enough spirits to be back to cracking jokes, and even better that’s he’s already able to head home. Here’s to a full recovery that has him back on the mound in the spring.

10. ballou0254 - Sep 11, 2012 at 8:45 PM

“I believe it’s pronounced, ménage a trois?”

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet