Brandon Phillips accuses another player of racism

Sep 11, 2012, 6:35 AM EDT

UPDATE:  Peace has apparently been achieved.

6:35 AM: From the Twitter feed of Brandon Phillips after last night’s marathon game against the Pirates:

No names attached, but as John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer noted early this morning, there was some jawing in the game between Phillips and Pirates pitcher Jared Hughes after Hughes hit Phillips with a pitch in the eighth inning, with Hughes shouting something at Phillips. The shouting happened, Hughes, said, because after he was hit, Phillips tossed the ball back at him, which he told reporters he did not expect.

Serious business if what Phillips says is true. I’m sure there will be some MLB investigation about all of this.

Oh, and Phillips is a guest on SportsTalk tonight on the NBC Sports Network at 6PM Eastern. I presume the conversation will be a bit more interesting than the usual “we gotta play ‘em one game at a time” rebop.

178 Comments (Feed for Comments)
  1. mazblast - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:35 AM

For all the money he makes, Phillips is still a “trash with flash” punk. Funny how he gets away with it more when his team is winning.

I wouldn’t be at all surprised if this is complete fiction, just Phillips looking for more attention. Name names or you’re just being a punk–again.

2. pisano - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:04 PM

The world is racist, deal with it. My grandfather came here from Italy and he told me there were sign in windows saying help wanted, but under the help wanted there were initials saying “INNA” guess what that stood for? Irish and Italian need not apply. That is racism!

• 18thstreet - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Sounds like he got over it. And so did you, a couple generations later. Oh, wait: it scarred him enough that he told his grandson about it. That’s what I just read.

Brandon Phillips is dealing with it, too. He’ll probably tell his grandson, too.

• historiophiliac - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:14 PM

Yes, it was exactly the same for Irish/Italians and black people who came here involuntarily….

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:34 PM

Still Pisano, those words from so long ago seem to offend you still. Enough that you comment on it. So the world is racist, eh? Its just “the world”, right? Lots of racism in it, I guess. That’s seems true enough I suppose. How does this rank with other stuff the world is full of? Should we just “deal with” that too? Let it happen, never say anything about it, etc (I presume that’s what you mean, since you can’t be meaning “speak up about it. See that it stops”). Well, there’s a lot of theft. For fun lets look at that injustice type thing.

Theft; people steal stuff. Always have. Deal with it.

Seems wrong, doesn’t it? Maybe as thinking people we SHOULD deal with it, even though the world IS full of a lot of theft. Just because it happens a lot, in every society, doesn’t mean we just put up with it. Feel free to substitute “racism” in there for “theft”. Works just as well you’ll find.

• pisano - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:36 PM

cur68… I understand what you mean, and you’re correct, but my main point was in that era you had try to make the best of what you had, and my family felt that whatever hand they were dealt they had to make the best of it. To be honest with you, I myself have never felt any of this, but I felt for my grandfather, his words stayed with me, but I do relate it to the early 1900′s and there was a lot of different nationalities coming here, so those people of different nationalities stayed together. I mean no offense to anyone, and we should always be respectful of others.

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:55 PM

In this era we should also try and make the best of what we have. And what we have is a voice. Public access to a pretty big voice. back in the day, if the world knew how Irish and Italians were being treated in 1900, if it were common knowledge throughout the land with pictures, personal accounts and a global platform, man that shit woulda been hotly debated. It would have had the air time this is getting by as disparate and informed a group.

Since it IS now and the platform exists and I do not get drowned out by the loud, the over sized, or the well heeled, I choose to add my voice to the discussion. I like to think that if it were Irish or Italians being subject to racist taunts still, with a similar history as your fellow Americans of colour, then I would add my voice to theirs…at any rate I hope I would. I hope I wouldn’t just do something like say “that Pisan. He’s always making trouble. Doesn’t he know that’s how the world is?” What worries me is that I don’t know that I wouldn’t. I kind of feel like apologizing about that in fact. I feel like I should know.

• hoopmatch - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Italian is a nationality, not a race.

• 18thstreet - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:22 PM

At the time his grandfather came here, Italian would have been considered a race, as would Slav, Hungarian, Jew, etc.

Our definition of ‘white’ changes all the time.

• sabatimus - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:35 PM

So just substitute “bigotry”, then. Either way, the sentiment hurts.

3. darthicarus - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:32 PM

You know I read a lot. Especially things that have to do with history. I find that shit fascinating. In fact, I don’t know if you know this or not, Sicilians were spawned by….no wait I’m not getting tricked into posting this Craig.

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:38 PM

er…no wait. I thought Sicilians were made by a mommy Sicilian & and a daddy Sicilian falling in love and deciding to have a Sicilian child/children together. Was I wrong about that? There was “spawning” involved? Like frogs eggs and stuff? Icky.

4. Chris Fiorentino - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:35 PM

Does it really matter who makes the accusation? The fact is that Phillips thinks he was shouted at with a racial word, so he has every right to be offended and pissed off about it.

HOWEVER, it is pretty chickenshit to post about something “#Racist” coming out of “another player’s mouth”. Tell us WHO said it and WHAT they said or just keep it to yourself. When Phillips posts something like this, it turns into a huge mysterious issue where people are trying to figure out WHO said WHAT. Had Phillips told us WHO said WHAT, we would be able to keep our comments to THAT PERSON and SPECIFICALLY WHAT THEY SAID.

• kinggw - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

I didn’t know that all victims of racism were required to run it by you, just to make sure their account meets your criterion of what racism is. Get over yourself.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Oh stop. Now Brandon Phillips, a professional baseball player with hundreds of thousands of followers on both his facebook and around the country, is the same as “all victims of racism”? Give me a break. Phillips has a moral duty to either tell the hundreds of thousands of people who he is talking to about another player’s racial comments who that person is and what they said AT THE VERY LEAST, or keep it between him and that person. Otherwise, it only create all the speculation that has been created both on this board and probably very soon around the country. It is both irresponsible and dangerous for someone with his visibility to accuse “someone” of a “racist comment” without saying who it was. He went on Twitter and posted it, meaning more than half a MILLION people this morning see it and wonder…”Hmm, somebody on the Pirates said something racist to Phillips? Wonder who it was and what they said.” Basically, he impugns the entire Pirates team and organization. It’s chickenshit.

• ballcoach72 - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

Why is he a victim ??? Because he says so??? Why do you believe him? What from his reaction at the time to his behavior in the past makes you say he is being truthful?

• somekat - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Don’t get me wrong, I’m the furthest thing from a racist. I’m married to a Latin, and every guy in my wedding party that wasn’t my brother was black. But the double standard on racism in this country is a joke, and has been for decades. It’s only bad when “whitey” does it

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:58 PM

@somekat

“Because in general, when black people are racist, that is ok, because they have been “opressed ” so badly (because they’d be doing MUCH better if they were in Africa), but when white people are racist, they are bigots.”…

Do you not see how totally disgusting this is? You put “oppressed” in quotes as if blacks haven’t really been oppressed..they’ve been “oppressed”. The entire jist of this quote is that blacks should be happy they were chained up and dragged to America against their wills because, you sarcastically write that “they would be doing MUCH better if they were in Africa”. Seriously? I don’t care how many blacks were in your wedding party, that’s about as racist a statement as you can possibly make. Ugh.

• skids003 - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:58 PM

Wait a minute. The “fact” that he “thinks” he was shouted at with a racial word gives him the “right” to be pissed off? That’s about the stupidist thing I’ve read all day. What if he wasn’t? What if he misheard? Then what?

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:03 PM

He has the right to be pissed off whether he misheard or not. There’s nothing in the Constitution that reads “You must have heard correctly before getting pissed off about something that someone else said to you”

Now, if you want to say he would be wrong to be pissed off if he misheard, then I’m with you. But he has the “right” to be pissed off at anytime, anywhere, for any reason whatsoever.

And FYI…you should have read what you wrote before claiming what I wrote was the stupidest thing you read all day. Had you done that you would have realized that what I wrote could be no worse than the second stupidest thing you read all day.

• skids003 - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:04 PM

So you just pissed me off because I thought I heard you say something bad about me. Makes alot of sense. the “right” to be pissed off for any reason. That takes the cake. You are something else.

5. The Common Man - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:57 PM

I’m amazed at all the racist bullshit I’ve read in this comment thread from idiots who are questioning Phillips’ credibility, and seemingly trying to argue that racism is somehow ok or not something to get worked up about because sometimes black and brown folks say something offensive about white people. Racism is racism, and it’s freaking wrong. Now, I don’t know what Phillips heard (I wish he would have been more specific so we could avoid the kind of idiotic bigoted rationalizations I’ve read throughout this thread). And I don’t know what Hughes said. But your reactions tell me an awful lot about what racist assholes some of you are.

• Chris Fiorentino - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:25 PM

I agree 100%. I am also amazed, and quite frankly, fairly ashamed as a Caucasian, to read some of the idiotic and racist comments from some of the people within this thread. I also think if he was going to tweet that “somebody” said something “racist” to him, the least he could have done was say who did it and what they said. Why? Because by tweeting it, he made it public to over half a million people who now are all left in the dark about it and are reading lips and assuming it was this guy…or it could have been that guy…or whoever. It impugns the entire Pirates team and organization.

• chuchasantamaria - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Honestly, I need to stop reading the comments here. Its just sad to see how disgusting and retrograde so many people are, and the fact that people were straight up calling for Phillips to be beaned(!) for saying this actually made me feel sick. Sorry to bring politics into this, but it’s really shocking to me the level to which conservative media (fox news etc) has actually managed to convince a swath of people into genuinely believing that white people being accused of being racist is a larger problem than REAL ACTS of racism, and that they can somehow decry the fact that america is all ‘wimpy’ and obsessed with claiming false grievance while MAKING THAT BEHAVIOR CENTRAL TO THEIR WORLDVIEW (seriously, is there any group that bitches as much about how stacked the deck is against them with no actual evidence?) I mean, I could be wrong in assuming that every single person on this thread who’s said egregious, victim blaming shit is a conservative (or possibly a bullshit ‘libertarian’ with no real understanding of what that philosophy entails aside from, ‘i’ve got mine, fuck everyone else’), but lets be real – y’all know you are. (for the record, dems/liberals are fucked up in their own way, but good lord, not in this way) It would be really nice if they could moderate these board a little more actively – people can have whatever opinions they want, but could we at least weed out the reactionary shitheads with nothing real to say and nothing to back up their bullshit?

• Tim's Neighbor - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

This has nothing to do with politics and little to do with Fox News. It’s a constant cultural battle that we are still fighting (and beating) in the US. Fox News is a symptom, not a cause. I live in the South and am from Indiana… I know plenty of libs/dems and people of all skin tones who say ignorant, racist things. Let’s leave the politics out because politics are incredibly divisive.

Even many people who are racist agree: Racism blows. Unfortunately, not everyone realizes what racism is.

• chuchasantamaria - Sep 11, 2012 at 3:52 PM

yeah tim, you’re right. Probably didn’t need to go there, just got pissed off – no need to bring specific parties/ideologies into it.

• Tim's Neighbor - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:55 PM

We’ve allllll been there.

6. elmo - Sep 11, 2012 at 1:24 PM

What a sad comment thread this is. A handful of reasonable people drowned out by a chorus of denial, ignorance, and even somebody calling for Phillips to get beaned. What year is this again?

7. thatyankeedude - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:08 PM

I’m really tired of the whole race issue. Why does it always have to be about race? I don’t understand why it matters to some people if a person is black or white. I don’t think questioning phillips on weather or not a racist comment was made is out of the question because we really don’t know the entire story. But I also think that he could be telling the truth and if he is than something needs to be done about it. Id feel exactly the same way if this was a white guy getting hit by a black guy. God made us different colors but we are still people aren’t we? Let’s act decent towards one another. No more screaming your a racist when someone thinks differently than u and no more provoking the people who claim ur a racist. Let’s actually try to respect one another and see where that goes.

• The Common Man - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Why does it have to be about race? Well, because somebody allegedly said something racist. Because race still matters a lot in this country to a lot of people.

8. gostlcards5 - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:09 PM

Brandon Phillips is an ass-hat.
    ** Please note, the above comment has nothing to do with the topic of the thread. Thanks.

(FYI as evidence to the above – I have several friends, Cardinals fans, who have had the “opportunity” to meet Chris Carpenter at various locations, spring training, public event, etc. By all accounts, Chris Carpenter is also an ass-hat.)

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 11, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Exactly 5. This is precisely what I was trying to convey to Footballchic previously.
      I call it like I see it. There are plenty of people who have called Carp phoney. I can’t disagree with them. Sometimes he is phony. I will never understand why some people refuse to be honest with themselves.

9. kevinleaptrot - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:07 PM

Another sophisticated discussion about Race in America. The Algonquin Roundtable would be proud of all of you.

10. renaldorae - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:37 PM

there are folks in this world that are not going to like you for whatever reason. my advice just dig your cleats in a little more, focus and hit the leather off the ball every time he pitches that way he wont be around anymore. i loved it when folks in the stands or other players would make comments to me and after going 5 for 6 with 5 runs scored 2 homers and 2 great plays in the field i would ask was all that talking worth it.

11. phranksta - Sep 12, 2012 at 2:34 AM

Unless we actually know what was said it’s hard to comment.. His own manager has said some controversial stuff that certainly borders racist.. Works both ways.

Yanks, Cards and Reds hit with injury bug