Sep 11, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Not so long ago Mark Trumbo seemed headed for a breakout season, making the All-Star team on the basis of a huge first half and hitting .307 with 27 homers, 16 doubles, and a .988 OPS in 85 games through July 20.
And then he just stopped hitting.
Since then Trumbo has played 43 games, batting .194 with three homers, zero doubles, and a .499 OPS while striking out 65 times compared to 11 walks.
He’s been so bad for so long that manager Mike Scioscia has recently been semi-regularly benching him in favor of Vernon Wells, who’s sporting a .227 batting average and .701 OPS after being incredibly unproductive last season.
Here’s how Scioscia explained the situation to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times:
There are a finite amount of games right now. With a guy like Trum, it’s a Catch-22. He has to go out there and swing, and right now, his struggles are taking some at-bats away from him. When he finds it, he usually keeps it, and it can come quickly for him. We need him, and we’ll definitely give him enough chances to get there with the option of spotting Vernon or some other guys to give us a little boost if he continues to struggle.
Here’s the thing, though: Dating back to mid-July, when Trumbo started slumping, Wells has hit .190 with four homers and a .696 OPS in 25 games. That’s better than Trumbo, sure, but it’s still really, really bad. If Scioscia is going to bench Trumbo for someone he ought to think about it being Peter Bourjos, because at least then the Angels will be getting amazing defense.
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)