Sep 11, 2012, 12:46 PM EDT
Not so long ago Mark Trumbo seemed headed for a breakout season, making the All-Star team on the basis of a huge first half and hitting .307 with 27 homers, 16 doubles, and a .988 OPS in 85 games through July 20.
And then he just stopped hitting.
Since then Trumbo has played 43 games, batting .194 with three homers, zero doubles, and a .499 OPS while striking out 65 times compared to 11 walks.
He’s been so bad for so long that manager Mike Scioscia has recently been semi-regularly benching him in favor of Vernon Wells, who’s sporting a .227 batting average and .701 OPS after being incredibly unproductive last season.
Here’s how Scioscia explained the situation to Mike DiGiovanna of the Los Angeles Times:
There are a finite amount of games right now. With a guy like Trum, it’s a Catch-22. He has to go out there and swing, and right now, his struggles are taking some at-bats away from him. When he finds it, he usually keeps it, and it can come quickly for him. We need him, and we’ll definitely give him enough chances to get there with the option of spotting Vernon or some other guys to give us a little boost if he continues to struggle.
Here’s the thing, though: Dating back to mid-July, when Trumbo started slumping, Wells has hit .190 with four homers and a .696 OPS in 25 games. That’s better than Trumbo, sure, but it’s still really, really bad. If Scioscia is going to bench Trumbo for someone he ought to think about it being Peter Bourjos, because at least then the Angels will be getting amazing defense.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)