Sep 11, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
If you could gamble on anything, you could gamble on Jeff Loria, no matter how bad the Marlins’ prospects are, claiming that the team is on the verge of success.
And it’s not really optimism. There’s always some note of menace to it, as though he’s sending signals to the people in his organization that, no matter the situation on the ground, he expects the team to win or else heads will roll. There’s a Steinbrennerish quality to it that has to be unsettling for those under him. This is not a supreme problem now — the Marlins were expected to do good things this year, and not just by Jeff Loria — but in the past it was kind of crazy when he’d say it about a team with no talent and a ten cent payroll.
In any event, he’s at it again, telling Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald the following:
As disappointing as this season has been for him, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loriasaid he’s confident that, with the right moves to the roster, the team can become a winner by next year.
“I don’t think it’s going to take a long time at all,” Loria said Monday of the retooling process.
Spencer presses Loria on how that’ll happen and whose job, if anyone’s, is in jeopardy, but Loria keeps mum.
Same as always in Miami.
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 2
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 39
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)