Sep 11, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
If you could gamble on anything, you could gamble on Jeff Loria, no matter how bad the Marlins’ prospects are, claiming that the team is on the verge of success.
And it’s not really optimism. There’s always some note of menace to it, as though he’s sending signals to the people in his organization that, no matter the situation on the ground, he expects the team to win or else heads will roll. There’s a Steinbrennerish quality to it that has to be unsettling for those under him. This is not a supreme problem now — the Marlins were expected to do good things this year, and not just by Jeff Loria — but in the past it was kind of crazy when he’d say it about a team with no talent and a ten cent payroll.
In any event, he’s at it again, telling Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald the following:
As disappointing as this season has been for him, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loriasaid he’s confident that, with the right moves to the roster, the team can become a winner by next year.
“I don’t think it’s going to take a long time at all,” Loria said Monday of the retooling process.
Spencer presses Loria on how that’ll happen and whose job, if anyone’s, is in jeopardy, but Loria keeps mum.
Same as always in Miami.
- Christian Vazquez to undergo Tommy John surgery 9
- 2015 Preview: Colorado Rockies 4
- 2015 Preview: Minnesota Twins 18
- 2015 Preview: Philadelphia Phillies 30
- 2015 Preview: Cincinnati Reds 47
- The average Major League Baseball salary this year will be more than $4 million — a record 22
- 2015 Preview: Tampa Bay Rays 21
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 70
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (91)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (90)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)