Sep 11, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT
If you could gamble on anything, you could gamble on Jeff Loria, no matter how bad the Marlins’ prospects are, claiming that the team is on the verge of success.
And it’s not really optimism. There’s always some note of menace to it, as though he’s sending signals to the people in his organization that, no matter the situation on the ground, he expects the team to win or else heads will roll. There’s a Steinbrennerish quality to it that has to be unsettling for those under him. This is not a supreme problem now — the Marlins were expected to do good things this year, and not just by Jeff Loria — but in the past it was kind of crazy when he’d say it about a team with no talent and a ten cent payroll.
In any event, he’s at it again, telling Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald the following:
As disappointing as this season has been for him, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loriasaid he’s confident that, with the right moves to the roster, the team can become a winner by next year.
“I don’t think it’s going to take a long time at all,” Loria said Monday of the retooling process.
Spencer presses Loria on how that’ll happen and whose job, if anyone’s, is in jeopardy, but Loria keeps mum.
Same as always in Miami.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (259)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)