Shocker: Jeff Loria says success is just around the corner for the Marlins

Sep 11, 2012, 9:38 AM EDT

Jeffrey Loria

If you could gamble on anything, you could gamble on Jeff Loria, no matter how bad the Marlins’ prospects are, claiming that the team is on the verge of success.

And it’s not really optimism. There’s always some note of menace to it, as though he’s sending signals to the people in his organization that, no matter the situation on the ground, he expects the team to win or else heads will roll. There’s a Steinbrennerish quality to it that has to be unsettling for those under him. This is not a supreme problem now — the Marlins were expected to do good things this year, and not just by Jeff Loria — but in the past it was kind of crazy when he’d say it about a team with no talent and a ten cent payroll.

In any event, he’s at it again, telling Clark Spencer of the Miami Herald the following:

As disappointing as this season has been for him, Marlins owner Jeffrey Loriasaid he’s confident that, with the right moves to the roster, the team can become a winner by next year.

“I don’t think it’s going to take a long time at all,” Loria said Monday of the retooling process.

Spencer presses Loria on how that’ll happen and whose job, if anyone’s, is in jeopardy, but Loria keeps mum.

Same as always in Miami.

1. pisano - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:43 AM

Gator, is this guy on drugs?

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:10 AM

I’m not so sure gator isn’t on drugs from time to time. ;-)

Psychadelic geckos and all.

• ajcardsfan - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:24 AM

“You gotta give up the Toad”

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:39 PM

I admit to being on drugs – Metamucil, mostly. If you want to consider that a performance enhancing drug, go ahead. I don’t care. I don’t even care if the New York spawrts press takes this and runs with it.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM

At the very least, you gotta put down the ducky.

• heyblueyoustink - Sep 11, 2012 at 10:30 AM

The Bird made a career of doing that, afterall.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Pretty short career.

• henryd3rd - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:17 PM

By the way Gator, have you ventured into their new stadium yet? I for one refuse to step foot into that place no matter who they are playing. I’d rather sweat my balls off in Sun Life Stadium watching the Dolphins rather then put a dime into Scrooge McLoria’s pockets.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2012 at 5:51 PM

I’ve been to quite a few games. The issue is, there’s no way to root for my favorite team without putting money in Scrooge McLoria’s pocket – even if, say, I flew to Atlanta so I could watch them play the Bravos, Scrooge is still getting a cut. If I watch ‘em on TV, Scrooge is getting a cut. I’m fond of quoting a line from Cormac McCarthy’s novel Cities of the Plain: one should not expect too much of justice in this world.

Anyway, it’s a beautiful stadium and I’ve got the on-off the expressway with minimal issues with the traffic down to an art. However, I generally don’t patronize the concessions, not as any matter of principle but because the prices are ridiculous. I have a favorite arepa and pinchos cart out on NW 14th Avenue by the Clevelander entrance where I get my munchies at about a third of the price inside, or I make myself a sandwich before leaving the house and eat it at the game. Only gotta pay for a bottle of spring water because you can bring in food but not liquids – probably on the advice of the TSA.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:41 PM

No, he’s on a feedback loop. Having a Chihuahua that’ll lick your…eh…shoes all the time and sing your praises in cute little yips and yelps can convince you that you’re right about anything. And it’ll keep those little jerky-flavored VitaChews coming.

2. Joe - Sep 11, 2012 at 9:54 AM

“Jeffrey Loriasaid he’s confident that, with the right moves to the roster, the team can become a winner by next year.”

So, all they need to do is add some players that will have good seasons next year, and they can be a winner? I wonder why nobody ever thought of that before?

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Because Scrooge McLoria never paid them enough to think of it.

3. theawesomersfranchise - Sep 11, 2012 at 11:45 AM

Hopefully the Reeper is right around the corner for Loria

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2012 at 12:36 PM

We don’t have Reepers here. Just Areepers.

4. onbucky96 - Sep 11, 2012 at 4:08 PM

By success does he mean fire sale. Because yes, the fire sale commences during the Winter meeting.

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3700)