Sep 11, 2012, 1:00 PM EST
Retired Mariner (and other things) John Olerud lives in Seattle. His neighbors across the street have a big tree. A tree that was there way before Olerud and his wife built their house. In a shocking development that could not have been foreseen by any available means, the tree that was there first blocks Olerud’s view.
Olerud, a former Seattle Mariner, one-time American League batting champ and three-time Gold Glove winner, has been asking the Bakers for more than two years if he can pay to have the tree cut down.
For two-plus years, the Bakers have refused.
Now the Oleruds want the Clyde Hill Board of Adjustment to order their neighbors to cut down the tree, saying it unreasonably obstructs the view from their $4 million property facing Lake Washington, Seattle and the Olympic Mountains.
Money quote from Olerud who, in his own defense, notes that the tree is ugly:
“You guys saw the trees,” Olerud said at the board hearing. “They’re not attractive trees. I would say they’re the kind of tree that only an arborist would love. …
Um, OK. Hey John: pro tip: If you’re a multi-millionaire and you’re building a house in a scenic spot, build it someplace where you can actually see the scenery. Like, say, the down-the-hill side of your street. You know, like your neighbors did.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (91)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)