Sep 12, 2012, 8:31 PM EDT
But Dunn failed to make it through batting practice on Wednesday afternoon, according to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com, and has experienced little to no improvement in his sore right oblique over the past couple of days. A pain-killing injection administered Tuesday morning did not achieve its intended effect.
The 32-year-old slugger has been out since September 5 — a full week — and seems unlikely to appear in a game before the weekend. Dan Johnson, a .236/.335/.406 career hitter in the major leagues, is filling in at designated hitter on Wednesday against tough Detroit right-hander Max Scherzer.
Dunn is batting .208/.340/.485 with 38 home runs and 88 RBI through 133 games played this season. Chicago is currently clinging to a two-game lead over the Tigers in the American League Central standings.
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 34
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 38
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 15
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 77
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 80
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (212)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (199)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)