Sep 12, 2012, 8:31 PM EST
But Dunn failed to make it through batting practice on Wednesday afternoon, according to Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com, and has experienced little to no improvement in his sore right oblique over the past couple of days. A pain-killing injection administered Tuesday morning did not achieve its intended effect.
The 32-year-old slugger has been out since September 5 — a full week — and seems unlikely to appear in a game before the weekend. Dan Johnson, a .236/.335/.406 career hitter in the major leagues, is filling in at designated hitter on Wednesday against tough Detroit right-hander Max Scherzer.
Dunn is batting .208/.340/.485 with 38 home runs and 88 RBI through 133 games played this season. Chicago is currently clinging to a two-game lead over the Tigers in the American League Central standings.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)