Sep 12, 2012, 10:18 PM EST
Some potentially awful news here for the Rangers.
According to Richard Durrett of ESPN Dallas, third baseman Adrian Beltre was lifted in the fifth inning of Wednesday’s game against the Indians after feeling discomfort in his left shoulder following a stellar defensive play at the hot corner in the second.
Beltre dove hard to his left on a sharply-stuck grounder from Cleveland batter Russ Canzler, then completed an impressive throw across the diamond to get the out. He remained in the game for the next couple frames but the discomfort only grew and he was eventually replaced by youngster Mike Olt.
Beltre is undergoing an MRI, the results of which probably won’t be available until Thursday morning.
The 33-year-old has a .318/.355/.561 batting line, 32 homers and 92 RBI in 138 games this season. His replacement, Olt, entered play Wednesday with just four hits in 37 major-league plate appearances.
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 7
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 53
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 139
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 24
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 29
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 90
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (139)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)