Sep 12, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Astros are reporting that Storey suffered contusions to the right jaw and right hand. If that’s the extent of the damage, then it’s great news.
There was a scary incident in Houston tonight, as Astros right-hander Mickey Storey took a liner to the side of his face and left the game against the Cubs.
The comebacker off the bat of Dave Sappelt glanced off the fingers of Storey’s pitching hand before rising and smacking him in the jaw area. He was on the field for a couple of minutes afterwards before walking off with the assistance of trainers.
Storey, a former A’s prospect who debuted for the Astros in August, has a 3.00 ERA in 18 relief appearances this season.
- Mariners’ interest in Matt Kemp is “very real” 21
- Astros players upset over Mark Appel’s promotion to Double-A, bullpen session in Houston 38
- Four theories about the Hall of Fame voting changes 21
- Troy Tulowitzki is visiting a sports hernia surgeon 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 29
- Giants acquire Jake Peavy from Red Sox 55
- Maximum stay on Hall of Fame ballot changed from 15 to 10 years 66
- Jon Lester is willing to return to the Red Sox as a free agent even if they trade him 32
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (164)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)