Sep 12, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Astros are reporting that Storey suffered contusions to the right jaw and right hand. If that’s the extent of the damage, then it’s great news.
There was a scary incident in Houston tonight, as Astros right-hander Mickey Storey took a liner to the side of his face and left the game against the Cubs.
The comebacker off the bat of Dave Sappelt glanced off the fingers of Storey’s pitching hand before rising and smacking him in the jaw area. He was on the field for a couple of minutes afterwards before walking off with the assistance of trainers.
Storey, a former A’s prospect who debuted for the Astros in August, has a 3.00 ERA in 18 relief appearances this season.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 9
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 100
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (104)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)