Sep 12, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Astros are reporting that Storey suffered contusions to the right jaw and right hand. If that’s the extent of the damage, then it’s great news.
There was a scary incident in Houston tonight, as Astros right-hander Mickey Storey took a liner to the side of his face and left the game against the Cubs.
The comebacker off the bat of Dave Sappelt glanced off the fingers of Storey’s pitching hand before rising and smacking him in the jaw area. He was on the field for a couple of minutes afterwards before walking off with the assistance of trainers.
Storey, a former A’s prospect who debuted for the Astros in August, has a 3.00 ERA in 18 relief appearances this season.
- Rangers snap Astros’ 10-game winning streak 0
- UPDATE: Hanley Ramirez exits game with a left shoulder sprain 15
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 55
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (140)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)
- Buck Showalter had some wise words about what’s happening in Baltimore (123)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (120)
- Some anti-DH counterpoints (102)