Sep 12, 2012, 10:56 PM EDT
11:15 p.m. EDT update: The Astros are reporting that Storey suffered contusions to the right jaw and right hand. If that’s the extent of the damage, then it’s great news.
There was a scary incident in Houston tonight, as Astros right-hander Mickey Storey took a liner to the side of his face and left the game against the Cubs.
The comebacker off the bat of Dave Sappelt glanced off the fingers of Storey’s pitching hand before rising and smacking him in the jaw area. He was on the field for a couple of minutes afterwards before walking off with the assistance of trainers.
Storey, a former A’s prospect who debuted for the Astros in August, has a 3.00 ERA in 18 relief appearances this season.
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 31
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)