Bobby Valentine brings boxing gloves to radio show, plans to manage Red Sox in 2013 “and beyond”

Sep 12, 2012, 3:40 PM EDT

Bobby Valentine

Last week Bobby Valentine made headlines for saying he wanted to punch WEEI radio host Glenn Ordway following what the Red Sox manager thought was an obnoxious question.

Valentine was back on WEEI and Ordway’s show this afternoon and jokingly brought boxing gloves to the studio.

In addition to proving (or at least attempting to show) that he’s a good sport Valentine also said he plans to manage the Red Sox in 2013 “and beyond” amid speculation that he’ll be fired after the season.

Here’s the full quote, via Paul Flannery of WEEI.com:

It’s not up to me, but I think I will be, yeah. And beyond. Why would I say that I want to be here for 2013 as though that’s going to be the end of something? That will be the continuation and hopefully the beginning of something really special. Why would I think it’s going to be a year’s job?

Well, for starters because Valentine’s contract has one more year on it. But whatever.

He was also asked about Kevin Youkilis being traded to the White Sox following a reported feud with Valentine and noted that Youkilis’ batting average hasn’t risen since the deal, saying: “I just want to point out that I’m not the reason he was batting .238.”

That’s technically true. Youkils had a .233 batting average for the Red Sox and has a .234 batting average for the White Sox. Of course, his OPS has risen 100 points since the trade and he’s homered 12 times in 61 games for Chicago.

There’s more potentially quotable stuff from the radio interview, but I’m just about Valentine’d out.

1. redsox51 - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:55 PM

Bobby also confirmed the Wall Street Journal credited him (or his restaurant) with inventing the wrap. So he’s still got that going.

2. Glenn - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:58 PM

Bobby V threatens to punch someone (a radio personality no less) for asking him if he was mailing it in for the season, but he publicly accuses Youkilis of mailing it in earlier this year and he is Youkilis’ boss. It’s stuff like that that is the reason he won’t be back.

3. doctorfootball - Sep 12, 2012 at 3:59 PM

As a Yankees fan, I can’t imagine better news than to hear Sox management announce they’re bringing Bobby V. back. I hope it happens sooner than later. Valentine is the Sox worst enemy. Please keep him! Please?

• bigharold - Sep 12, 2012 at 5:09 PM

ex-ney on the “Valentine is the Sox worst enemy’ey”

We love Booby V and think he’s on the right track and we’d love for him to be back year too.

4. paperlions - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:22 PM

Well….he is certainly entertaining, if not effective….almost seems like that is what he’s going for.

5. dondada10 - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:31 PM

Valentine is doing spin work right now so that he can get another job, but not as a manager.

I think at this point, the public perception of Valentine is so bad that he might have trouble getting a television job at this point.

6. pisano - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:33 PM

I don’t think Bobby should threaten Boston fans saying he’ll be around for along time. I’m sure the other AL East teams love hearing this because with Bobby around there will always be problems brewing, but the Boston fans don’t deserve Bobby.

• 24missed - Sep 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Thank you, pisano. Appreciate the respect and shout out for the RS fans.

I love watching the game, but am wishing on the stars for a new manager. I can’t stomach another season of “The Bobby Valentine Show”. Please, don’t let him do this to me. Tums just can’t cut it.

On a side note, I still like thinking of John Lackey as Munroe from Grimm. Kinda gives me the warm fuzzies. Munroe is such a cool cat and if I can rub some of that vibe on Lackey, I’m gonna work it. Gomer Pyle ~ not so much. Really. I need those bits of hope and in the Munroe vs. Gomer battle, Munroe brings that dash of hope. Also, quirkiness, wit, humor and so much more. Gomer: ummmm…..

Again, ‘preciate your sentiment.

• ptfu - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:05 PM

Imagine what would have happened if RS management had allowed Bobby Valentine to hire his own coaches…

7. randygnyc - Sep 12, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Pisano- that’s exactly what Red Sox fans deserve.

8. timb12 - Sep 12, 2012 at 5:08 PM

And beyond? Does Bobby V think he’s Buzz Lightyear?

9. 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Sep 12, 2012 at 6:41 PM

He’s totally lost it. Or is he just continuing to lose it? I can’t really tell.

10. j0esixpack - Sep 12, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Valentine should be fired, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t play his role well for the Sox this year.

The Sox didn’t hire Valentine because they thought they had a shot at contending this season. Given the poor play and poor attitude of players who grew fat and lazy taking Francona for granted – plus the fact that few good free agents were available and the huge albatross contracts of Beckett et al, they hired Valetnine because they KNEW this was not their year.

Instead one year under Valentine will teach these players to never again take a player’s manager for granted as they did with Francona.

If the Sox can hire the manager they truly want, they will.

But Bobby V. has taught these players a lesson they won’t soon forget, and I don’t expect you’ll see chicken and beer in the dugout for a very long time.

11. ravensoriolesnation - Sep 12, 2012 at 10:00 PM

I agree with the Yankee fan, I’m a Orioles true fan even threw the last 12 losing seasons, its all up hill from here , and with Bobby V managing the redsoxs would be a great help for are club. He a mess always something with this guy, way to much drama, you see how the Yukoluis drama worked out. Valentine can’t keep he’s mouth shut……total loser , I would say this if I was a Redsox fan.

12. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

Proudly who controls like 25 screen names on this has been all over this but in reality and i have spoken to real redsuks fans as i know 12 of them. Its not his fault, sorry folks, did he make them get hurt? Nope, did he make them trade away a lot of their best players? nope!! Im shocked craigy isnt writing this but i wouldnt doubt it if he writes all of this junk. Bobby really didnt do anything wrong and was handed a raw deal but the media will never, ever tell you that. End of story, let proudly and his 15 friends vote me down as if i really care, lol. Fakes all over this board people!!

13. ravensoriolesnation - Sep 13, 2012 at 1:59 AM

it may not be hits fault but he needs to keep quit and manage the team back to winning baseball, Sox fans would never put up with 12 losing seasons after finally winning a couple world series. They want a winning club NOW. and I know the Os last place for many years,

Final take away from World Series