Sep 12, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse tallied a season-high eight strikeouts over six strong innings, but the Redbirds’ offense continued its prolonged slump on Wednesday in San Diego as the Padres completed a three-game sweep of the defending World Series champions.
Matt Holliday finished 0-for-4 and is now batting just .204 over his past 14 games. Yadier Molina went 0-for-3 and laid down an ill-advised sacrifice bunt with a runner on second base and no outs in the ninth inning, damaging the threat of a late comeback. That bunt call apparently did not come from manager Mike Matheny.
The Cardinals have dropped 11 of their last 15 games and hold just a half-game lead over the Dodgers for the National League’s second Wild Card spot. The hard-charging Phillies are just three games back, and the Pirates are still alive with a mere two-game deficit. Milwaukee is 3 1/2 games out.
St. Louis visits Chavez Ravine next for a huge four-game set. We’ve entered must-see baseball territory.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (107)