Sep 12, 2012, 9:25 PM EDT
Kyle Lohse tallied a season-high eight strikeouts over six strong innings, but the Redbirds’ offense continued its prolonged slump on Wednesday in San Diego as the Padres completed a three-game sweep of the defending World Series champions.
Matt Holliday finished 0-for-4 and is now batting just .204 over his past 14 games. Yadier Molina went 0-for-3 and laid down an ill-advised sacrifice bunt with a runner on second base and no outs in the ninth inning, damaging the threat of a late comeback. That bunt call apparently did not come from manager Mike Matheny.
The Cardinals have dropped 11 of their last 15 games and hold just a half-game lead over the Dodgers for the National League’s second Wild Card spot. The hard-charging Phillies are just three games back, and the Pirates are still alive with a mere two-game deficit. Milwaukee is 3 1/2 games out.
St. Louis visits Chavez Ravine next for a huge four-game set. We’ve entered must-see baseball territory.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 3
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 28
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 5
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 19
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 14
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 21
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 62
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (131)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)