Sep 12, 2012, 9:25 PM EST
Kyle Lohse tallied a season-high eight strikeouts over six strong innings, but the Redbirds’ offense continued its prolonged slump on Wednesday in San Diego as the Padres completed a three-game sweep of the defending World Series champions.
Matt Holliday finished 0-for-4 and is now batting just .204 over his past 14 games. Yadier Molina went 0-for-3 and laid down an ill-advised sacrifice bunt with a runner on second base and no outs in the ninth inning, damaging the threat of a late comeback. That bunt call apparently did not come from manager Mike Matheny.
The Cardinals have dropped 11 of their last 15 games and hold just a half-game lead over the Dodgers for the National League’s second Wild Card spot. The hard-charging Phillies are just three games back, and the Pirates are still alive with a mere two-game deficit. Milwaukee is 3 1/2 games out.
St. Louis visits Chavez Ravine next for a huge four-game set. We’ve entered must-see baseball territory.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)